Rear End lube

fastsc92

What type of rear end fluid should I use??? I swapped out gears and i hear a clicking at low speeds. Could it be the oil that i used and the cluth packs making that noise? I used 80w 90 non synthetic with 4oz of frictino modifier.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but is this thread entitled, rear...end...lube? ::covers eyes and gasps:: i have never read anything so perverse in my life!! you should be ashamed of yourself.

KY is my personal favorite =)

Liquid, not gel.

Uhhh so there's a clicking noise coming from your rear end, and you need to lube it? Heh heh... But seriously, does this noise happen all the time, or only when turning? What else was done when you swapped out the gears? You'll need to give more info about this clicking, because there are a lot of different things that could cause clicking, in different situations.

i had a post about the noise before, and no one knows what it could be. The noise only happens when slowing the car down below 20mph. The car is quiet until you get to 20mph and below while coming to a stop. It does not make the noise on take off. There are no vibrations on the highway or noises of any sort. I did the gears myself, but I had all the proper tools and knowhow about doing them. Everything was within specs and to my knowledge.....when gears are done wrong, they dont click, they howl or vibrate.
Anywho, i cant figure out what it is. It might be a u-joint, but i doubt it because it was fine before i did the gears. I'm thinking maybe the clutch pack is clicking because i'm not using the right fluid. This is a long shot, but I cant get it.

i think your supposed to use 8oz. of the friction stuff. not to scare you but i had the same simptoms and i also thought u-joint. the pin that goes through the gears broke and was hitting the top and bottum of the pumpkin making that clicking sound. now i'm putting a new auburn in.
good luck
joe

are you sure the gears were setup right and they have the proper back lash? I had my rearend rebuilt, new gears, and had all new bearings and stuff put in. Mine makes no noise.

the backlash on these gears was .012. The specs are .008- .015. And the pattern was ok. It doesn;t seem like anything is broken, it only makes the noise while slowing down right before a stop. It is very weird. I guess i can try to put another 4oz of modifier in there. The oil i used was non- sythetic....should I have used synthetic oil???

Back