Throttle Linkage problems

dead_lx

Ok, I have a 1992 SC auto, and i was driving and i noticed the car was all of sudden accelerating of it's own free will (i wasn't touching the gas). A friend was riding with me who has some automotive experience so we park the car and pop the hood. We notice the throttle linkage is no longer attached to the throttle body and is just kind of hangin there, so we head to Auto extras. We couldn't find a molding/bolt/whatever that fit.
So we ended up using a hose clamp to secure the linkage to the throttle body. This saturday the hose clamp loosened up and the same sad story happened again...it seems to be fine as long as i don't use full throttle, when i really push it the clamp moves and the @#$# hits the fan. I was wondering if the throttle linkage from a 1994 V6 3.8L LX would work on my car, and if so how would I put that on and etc., i'm a newbie when it comes to engine components, any help would be appreciated.

The end of your throttle cable should have a plastic/metal clip on it that should snap onto a round head stud on the side of the throttle body linkage. Another year LX cable should be the same but I'm not sure. Good luck

Hmm..

Same thing happened to my car. Seems to be a minor problem with these cars. I just picked another one up from fords, it was a really small plastic piece (charged me like 3 dollars!). But I was in a hurry to get one so I paid it. I heard it can screw up your OD band, so I would recommend getting it fixed soon. Oh and btw, my car also accelerated on its own free will. LOL I was scared for a second.

DCP_0001_new.JPG

Note the little bit of red back by the throttle body. That's the cable tie holding mine on.

Yes indeed it can blow your tranny if this comes free. There was a post by someone driving his SC across a state when that popped free... the tranny blew out.

I really should get it fixed, but the idiot parts guy at Ford cant find the proper part to replace it with... he insists I have to buy a whole new TV cable.

I understand they made some replacement part... but the part number I was given was not recognized at Ford and I'm lazy :-(

Ford

Ok I went to the local Ford dealership today and they quoted me at 63$ for a whole new cable...I'm thinkin I'll just get it because i don't feel like roamin the junkyards and i want my car fully functional this weekend.

Back