Subframe Bolts

RBM91

I remember reading a thread where someone wrote that the nasty crunching noise that shows up in the front end when turning in a tight radius is from the subframe needing tightening.
Since my car does this I thought I'd tighten them up but what kind of weird bolt head did Ford use? Is it possible to buy a socket that will work on these bolts? Thanks.

Technically they are inverted torx bolts, but as Mike said, a 12-pt socket should work.

After learning the hard way just a few weeks ago, I have to strongly advise against using anything but the correct inverted torx socket......I picked up an impact socket from MAC for about 9 bucks.

Stephen

Stephen is correct that it would be best to use the proper tool. The problem with the 12 point socket is that it will be grabbing on the points of the star, not the flats. This will only get you so much torque before possibly damaging the fastner.

So if you are going to torque it to spec, better get the right tool. You'll have to judge how much you think you can toque with a 12 point socket.

Back