chugging SC

thunderstruck

I have a problem with a 90 SC that I have. It has happened about 4 or 5 times in the past month, and twice in the past 2 days. Im driving along fine at highway speeds and all of the sudden it kinda cuts out then starts "chugging". Thats the best word I can think of to describe it. I cant maintain speed when its doing it. I put it in neutral and give it gas and it revs up ok, but it sounds like its missing bad. I end up having to pull over and after a minute or so its all of the sudden starts running fine again. A few times it has either died, or I shut it off. When I start it up again, it runs fine.
Im suspecting plugs or wires, but it confuses me that it will start and stop happening so quickly, or that it will run fine when I restart it . That makes me think its a sensor or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Try this first:
Make sure all the plug wires are on toght
If The engine is under Boost I would change the plugs use the motocraft double platums.

Check the balancer pulley (with the engine idling) to see if it has any wobble in it. If the balancer is wobbling, it could be from a broken balancer bolt. This will eventually cause the balancer to fail (and that is a real pain). A wobbling balancer can cause the "hall-effect ring" to lose proper alignment with the crank sensor. This can affect the timing causing a loss of power. You may also notice a rumbling sound similar to having a hole in the exhaust when this occurs. If the balancer is wobbling, replace it before it breaks (if possible) with a new one, preferrably a BHJ, but a new stock Ford unit is a good second choice......

Back