Anyone used Boost A Spark

Looks like it boosts the supply voltage to the coils during boost. I will have to look at the DIS wiring diagrams later (I'm at work) to give more of a response.
One thing, the DIS module is designed to withstand the inductive kickback of the coils when charged at 14V. The kickback with this device is going to have a lot more energy. You may get more energy at the plug but your DIS module will get a lot hotter.

I'll look at the diagrams tonight and see if you could use a system like this on the SC.

Aaron

Nice thing is that is only comes on during WOT so it shouldn't cause much of a prob. The test they did was on a newer Cobra too so it must be ok since Cobra has similar ignition.

I don't think we would see the kind of improvements claimed for the cobra, but it probably would help those who run higher boost levels.

It seems to be a variable power supply that is switched on at a certain manafold pressure. Not too hard to make one (if your an EE) and with DIS modules available wouldn't hurt to test it out.

I'll check out the wiring and look at the power needs. I should be able to come up with something that costs about half that if you can solder.

Aaron

I took a look at the diagrams - that unit will work with our cars. The only problems would be heating up the DIS unit/coil pack and burning up spark plugs faster.

Does anyone know what the dwell time looks like vs RPM/boost for our cars? Is the dwell a fixed time or is the computer smart enough to increase the spark energy at high rpm/boost.

I'll do some testing of the power requirements and post some plans (complete with PCBs) if enough people are interested.

Aaron

Sorry pastera i don't know the info your looking for.

But i can add this. I have a Jacob's electronics power enhancer for my bird. Its supposed to increase power output of spark also.

And i can say this. I've had my product for over 2 years now. I haven't burned up any spark plugs yet or a coil pack, i did burn up one jacobs module though, i think that was its fault.

Ok so what do you get: at max throttle or boost you get increased spark - maybe too great an increase- so that you more completely burn fuel, thus more power.

from what i read in the link, it sounds like you could seriously fry things under the hood.
Not to advertise for jacobs because i've heard lots of people say they have had some major problems with thier stuff, but wouldn't it be better to have increased spark all the time ( though not as great as what kenn belle has) there fore better power (mpg) all the time.
Actually from my experience with the jacobs module, i'd say its not worth it, but if your are going to get something, then i would say better to have more power all the time than extra power only at WOT, unless its a track only car.

jim

I have a boost a spark sitting right here..Came with my kenne belle kit..Never used it however..Any ignition product that will give you a more intense spark at a ghigher boost level and alowing a greater gap...Will give more HP..But does it actually do that is the question..Give me a diagram on how to wire it up to my Sc and Ill give it a whirl:O)...Damon

I fired off an email to Kenne Bell asking for more info.

This thing should work on the SC unless the DIS module regulates the charging current to the coils (doubtful).

As far as adding full time use, it is not needed. Look at the dyno graph on the web page. The stock spark energy is fine for low boost levels.

If I can get the install instructions for that unit I can tell you exactly how to install it. As a swag, I would say you would cut the 12volts going to the coil pack and power the coil pack off of the spark unit. The unit should also have a manifold pressure line the would tee into the boost gauge line. Without the manufacturers instructions it is hard to say haveing never seen the device.

Aaron

Back