Overheating.

blown11

My car while ideling will start to overheat, and radiator fluid will come out of the tube connecting to the radiator cap. Also when it starts to get hot the radiator fan does not turn on. What should I do?

thanks

-lance

It sounds like your problem is twofold. First, most likely you have a clogged overflow-tank hose. Take that little hose off when your car is cold and look through it. If you can't see out, unclogg it with air, water, or something you can insert to remove debris.

Obviously your other problem is the fan. Check the connections first. I suppose it could be a ground. More likely it is either the fan motor Or the IRCM, the little black box behind the passenger side headlight. What year is your car? If its pre-94 then you have a single fan with 2 speeds. If its 94 or after then you have 2 fans, each a single speed. THe fan in the engine bay, closest to the cabin, is the low speed. There may also be a fan fuse, check for one.

If you can't find any wiring problems, perhaps try grounding it or powering it directly to see if it turns on. You could also use a voltmeter to see if power is going to it.

Hope that helps..

i have a 94 5-speed and mine was doing that also. i went to advanced auto parts and bought a new temp sensor with a brass tip that inserts into the engine instead of the black plastic sensor and it cured my problem. mine has 2 fans.

Back