oil filter change

drakestarr

I've got an 89 SC and it seems to me that Ford decided it would be smart to chose the worst possible place to put the oil filter, wedged between the motor and some power steering lines. It took me about 30 minutes of grunting and cursing to get that thing on, and its bent and scratched up pretty good. Is there a secret to get the oil filter on? Or is there a shorter one I can use instead? Jiffy Lube seems like its worth every penny after that thash.
Thanks
Brian

yeah take off the little bracket holding the lines up and they move enough to allow you to take the filter off with ease.

If your motor mounts are bad, changing the oil filter will be a real PITA. I'd check them as changing the filter shouldn't be that hard, just messy.

Absolutely

I had gone so far as to rasie the engine with a block of wood and jack when doing oil changes. I finally gave in and changed the mounts to solid ones from Rich. Oil changes are a breeze now, but still messy :rolleyes:

Anthony

Bad motor mounts = bloody knuckles on oil change.

I punch a hole in the filter before removing it for less mess. Once most of the oil drains out, wipe it and cover the hole with a piece of duct tape.

Remember to always pour about half a quart into the filter before installing the new one - less oil starvation on startup. I usually fill it up and then pour the excess into the engine (using a funnel) and get immediate oil pressure on the first startup.

Aaron you are wrong - breaking things is much easier than it should be:D :D :(

Aaron

mine comes off easily and is easy to get to, so definatly your motor mounts and not a design flaw... maybe the motor mounts are...

I hate to repeat, but - MOTOR MOUNTS.
I just replaced mine with solid rubber mounts from mn12performance.com and it raised my oil filter almost 2 inches. I can't wait to see how easy the next oil change will be.

When I installed my new motor mounts.I welded a peice
of channel on the torque arms sticking out from the top
part of the motor mount going through the bottom part of
the motor mount torque stop.This will stiffen up the torque arm
and stop fiexing of the torque arm.I then pushed a peice of rubber
hose around the welded torque arm.this made the top of the torque
arm sit aginst the bottom of the torque stop part of the motor mount.
I hope this will stop the motor mounts from braking.

Some other people use a chain from the motor to the frame.
If you dont want to have them brake again you need some sort
of torque strap.

Its not an easy job to replace motor mounts.You will want to do
this only one time.

one way to tell if the mounts are bad is if the oil filter has a small dent in it from the subframe hitting

Back