New tensioner pulleys don't fit!

SCGuru92

Well, one of them doesnt fit. The one next to the alternator is VERY close to the water pump pulley. I can just barely slide a piece of paper between the belt. I have underdrive pulleys by the way. The stock plastic ones had 2 large ones and 1 small one. So I just put the small one there and it worked (it was still pretty close) But the new steel ones are all the same size. I havent tried to run it yet because this looks way too close for comfort.

Anybody else have this problem?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Speaking of which you can get all steel tensioners from Autozone for about 14.99 a pop. Beats 25 a pop from Supercoupeperformance.com. I can get the 2 large ones for that price and if you give me a day or two I can find one to match the smaller size. I just got the two big ones for my car and am in the process of finding the smaller pulley.

Get me a measurement off of the small one and I will look through the shelf tomorrow. Mine is still on the car so I won't be able to get a good measurement.

I work at car quest.....i got dayco steel pulleys....89006.....for 9 bucks each. I love the employee discount. LOL. They are much quieter than the plastic ones. They are all 76mm althought the stock SC pulley is a 70mm. It worked just fine for me and I was able to reuse the stock seal/washer without modifying it at all, it just fit right in. Very happy with them.

The underdrives and possibly a stretched belt are the culprit. People with the stock pulleys do not have that issue with the belt almost touching at the water pump pulley. Only good news is that as the car revs, it pulls the tensioner and the belt away from the belt on the water pump pulley. Mine are very close but have not hit (yet!).

small pulley is 2 3/4"

So if I replace the serpentine belt, I should get a little more clearance?
I dont even have 1/16"

Back