lifters

smokymance

my valves/lifters or whicheven knock when i start up the car. in the morning after the car has been off for a while, it doesnt, but after a short time off, maybe a coulple of hrs it will badly, this is only when my temp sensor doesnt work. it jumpes up to hot after a while then it goes back to normal, but until my sensor gets up to temp, or when it starts reading the temp, (it goes bizzerk...its annoying the hell out of me...cant find the problem) the valves knock...the engine could be up to temp...but if my temp sensor doesnt read Normal...my valves will knock...this is what i have noticed and it is scarying me....what is going on...what do i do...how much does a valve / cam or whatever job cost?? any comments would be appreciated

how many miles on it. If you look under the oil fill cap is it full of thick sludge or carbon like crust?

yea its pretty clean...im thinking if this car has some kind of adjusting fuel air mixture when car is cold or hot...and my temp sensor is bad...it would make it missfire or not deliver enough fuel in it or something...i have no idea what this all means...help

if it is the lifters, they do sell cleaners/flushes(I havent tried any), I personally would replace them. See if someone else thinks its the lifters also, just to make sure. Hopefully its not the engine bearings that are loose(knocking when cold)

first thing i'd do....

first thing i'd do ...would be to get that temp gauge working properly, or get an aftermarket one...if your car overheats....you'll have many more problems. hopefully it snot the bearings :( if have a feeling it might be, don't run it much, and do NOT drive. lifters and valves are in my mechanical ability range....that's as far as i've gone so far! hard to tell without actually being there to hear the sounds....anyways, good luck!!

derrktor feesh

ps: AsScLoWn.....hey there bud! :D

Geez, why does everyone try to start with the most complex thing! There are a lot of things to look at before replacing the lifters.

First, the temp gauge has it's own sender, independent of the engine computer. So your gauge can go wacky but it's not affecting anything else. You can get a new sender for about $12 at the auto parts store. But this has nothing to do with knocking.

So what is the noise you hear? Valvetrain noise is usually more like tapping than knocking. If you have a lifter not pumping up, it could be pretty darn loud.

If you hear valvetrain noise at startup, this could be caused by something as simple as the wrong oil weight, or a crappy filter. If you are using Fram or similar such junk, the anti-drainback valve is probably failing to keep oil up in the valvetrain for startup. Put in a real filter - Purolator, Mobil 1, and K&N are some good ones. See if the noise improves.

the tapping and noise is the lifters...but it stops as soon as my BAD temp sensor starts working(it takes a while for it to work). is these two related at all?

the oil pressure gauge moves up as soon as it starts?.
The lifters/lifter could be bleeding down. If so change the oil/filter and add some additive designed to stop lifter noise, see what happens(might work for a while). Are you using 10w30?. Arent the inline Dodge 6s with upside down?? mounted filters have more problems with drain-back valves.

Use only brand name oils and filters (Motor-craft, Mobil 1 etc). You can also do a test on the lifters for checking bleed-down by removing the valve covers and pressing down on the rocker arms(they make a special tool to help do this)

ps: AsScLoWn.....hey there bud!
:p

Back