cutting off stock mufflers

clintd

I want to cut off my 2 rear mufflers but I dont Know how loud it will be. I know there is a resonator in the center of the exhaust but will that be enough to not get pulled over by the police?

prolly not...

but before you cut anything, you can unbolt the exhaust past the resonator ...that way if you don't like the sound, you can replace it. it's easier to bolt back on than weld ;)

derrktor feesh

I've heard it doesn't sound bad but you won't get much performance out of it. I would gut cats and take out resonater becfore I took out the muffs. I had that for a while and it doesn't sound bad, stock muffs flow well and really quiet down the car.

I cut the mufflers off mine and its not too loud. SOunds like a real nice exhaust when you are in the car, and can hear a nice rumble outside the car. I've even had a few compliments about it and been asked where i got my exhaust done! A real cheap way to get a nice sound considering some of my friends with imports spend hundereds on their exhausts and they dont sound all that great. There isnt much of a performance increase other than taking 20lbs off your car's weight :)

I did it and i think that it sounds great. The idle from inside and outside the car sounds awsome. But at higher speeds there is a little bit of a drone sound but im used to it now. but it is not loud to the point where you will be pulled over.

mitch

i have been working on my son's 90 auto. it sounded terrible with gutted cats. the next step was to gut the resonator. now you can here the super charger though the exhaust. my son says the most seat of the pants gain was made with the resonator work. he still has the factory mufflers. the outlet side of the resonator was cut off, then the inside was gutted. the small tubing was then cut from the ball and a peice of three inch tube welded on, it fit very nicely. next the other side of the ball is opend up to two and seven eigths. midrange seems to have been helped out.

hey silversc90!!!

whereabouts in farmland indiana are you? southern ??? :D we need to get an sc community goin round here!!! ;) take care!

derrktor feesh

I've had numerous compliments of the sound of my muffler delete, w/ 4" tips. All of which asked if I had a 3+" exhaust - I wish.

Hey MN12kid, I take it you added the 4" tips to extend from where the mufflers used to be. Are they visible from behind the car? I'm thinking of adding tips to mine but not sure what will fit and look good.

supercoupe92FL said:
Hey MN12kid, I take it you added the 4" tips to extend from where the mufflers used to be. Are they visible from behind the car? I'm thinking of adding tips to mine but not sure what will fit and look good.

Best looking tips I've seen on an SC:
(courtesy of jdsc--for sale section)

Attachments

• scwithnicetips.jpg
    scwithnicetips.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 223
I think my favorite tips are the ones George has, and how he routed them.

P0001356sm.jpg

im in vincennes right now about an hr north of evansville, i just got back yesterday from a BIG supercoupe meet in st louis, where chris wise ran 11.9s

oh and i finally ran a 14.6 with me behind the wheel.

Farmland is in Randolph county about 14 miles east of muncie. It would be cool to get some sc guys from around here together. NHRA Nationals in Indy would be awesome, or maybe at someones hometrack?

"hey, im in Evansville! lets get together this summer"

hey, look at that. i was born in Evansville. but i moved here to florida when i was something like 3 months old. that's pretty cool.

Indiana SC Chapter!!

does anybody know how to start a sccoa chapter???? a little while back, three of us from around here made a little noise, but not enuf i guess :) we need a chapter!!!! i'd get much more involved in the sc community if i knew what was going on!!!! :D shall we post in the "I want a chapter near me!!" forum???? geez, i just dropped my hamburger....umm....everybody that's interested reply to thread in there i'm going to start!!! lets see how many fellow sc'ers are interested!!!!

derrktor feeeesh!!!:D :D :D

Back