Motor mount bracket question?

Boostman23

Was wonderinf if anyone know for sure if there is any difference in the brackets between the 89-93 SC's? I am pretty sure that the bottom bracket is different on the passenger side, but do not recall on the other side or the top brakets.

The reason I ask this is because I replaced a 93 engine with a 90 and had problems having the mounts line up and fir properly. I then switched out the passenger side bracket to the 93 and was able to make it fit. Now after a few months of driving the engine can easily, with a good shove, move the engine side to side. I think this is why my shifter has been moving around so much.

What I think is the problem is that since I have the wrong brackets in the car, it has either broken the motor mounts(dont look like it), or it is physically not in the right location. The engine almosts seem to teeter in the engine bay, it is pretty weird.

So any help or thoughts would be great.

Also has anyone had any experience with the L&S solid rubber motor mounts from Advanced Auto for $20?

Thanks

I just got done changing the mounts on my 90 SC . I had
trouble geting the driver side bolt holes to the block to line up.
I had a floor jack under the oil pan,as I jacked the SC up I think it
pulled the motor forward .M aking the mislinement.

On the driver side,I welded a 1 1/8 inch channel x 1/2 inch on the
bottom of the torque arm sticking out from the top motor mount.that go's through
the bottom part of the motor mount torque stop.

Hope it works and stops the rubber mounts from braking.
I think this will be better than a torque strap chain going from the
motor to the frame to hold the motor down.easier to install
and easier to fab up to.

My guess is that the mounts are different on the year that has the newer ABS system. i think 93 was that year. The engine is more centered than the older cars. This is due to less ABS junk in the way on the new ABS system engine. That would require different left and right mounts.

So I would think a 93 engine in a 89-92 would need to use the 89-92 mount brackets.

Then using my guesses, as long as you are using all 90 brackets, or all 93 brackets, they should work. It's mixing and matching that would mess you up.

But I'm just guessing.

that is what I was thinking as well. I was just making sure that the brackets were in fact different, and I was a dumbass to assume that they where the same through the years.

I have a 90 with 90 motor mount.I cut and ground parts of the the mounts off
for easy installation.and welded some steel on the torque arm and torque stop.
To stop motor mount brakeage.

It seemed to work today at the TBU ST LOUIS meet.

The same year part for the same year car dont fit sometimes on SCs

Motor mounts....

Hey Rob... I was doing some research on this a little and found that the years '89 to 4/7/92, the Right & left mounts/brackets, the Part # is E9SZ 6038 A-D.

From 4/7/92, the Right Mount/bracket is Part # F4SZ 6038 C. The Left Mount/bracket is F2SZ 6038 B.

1994-97 Right side is F4SZ 6038 C.... Left side is F2SZ 6038 C.

I hope this may help ya out.

Jeff

Back