M5R2 guys, have a Q:

There are no high performance rebuild upgrade parts for the M5R2 that I am aware of. You can rebuild it but there is no guarantee that it will handle that amount of power.

Someone successfully transplanted the new 3.8 compatible T-56 6speed into their SC. :D

Of course, they warned it was not an easy job.

Ted Lyons is using the M5R2, he has...555 rwhp, I beleive is the exact #..

He's had the car for awhile.. don't know if he's had any probs though.

Yeah, the T56 would be nice:)

Chris

a custom made 4340 or titanium gearset, or dont power shift between gears behind that engine you built, is the stock trans still going strong?

Ted blew up his M5R2 last year and is now running on his spare unit. Does not bode well for long term longevity with a high HP application.

Car has 235k on it, tore the 3.8 out the day I pulled it off the trailer. Don't know the status on the tranny, Haven't used it yet. Just know I'm either rebuilding it (depending on how it looks when she comes apart) or purchasing a lower-mile and take a peek inside to see what looks worn.. probably just synchros.

The car has been worked on few times, but it almost looks like everything has been replaced. Super clean car, shows no wear anywhere so far, and yeah, with 235k on the clock. Engine doesn't even have a ring groove in any of the cyl's.

Ted blew up his tranny, eh? That sucks. I'm sure it held up to it's share of abuse though (nothing on teds part, but you don't build a hi performance car and then not drive it.) I wonder how many miles he put on since rebuild before she went?

I just though there might be a couple tricks, things to tweak a little so it might hold up a bit better. I know these are decent on strength.

I'll just rebuild it and keep a spare I guess.

Thanks,

Chris

Digitalchaos said:
Someone successfully transplanted the new 3.8 compatible T-56 6speed into their SC. :D

Of course, they warned it was not an easy job.

Who? There's only one I know of at the moment and it used an LT1 GM tranny.

The so-called 3.8 compatible T56 is the average aftermarket T56 for the 302/351. Yes, it will easily bolt to the engine block but the shifter is in the radio.

The LS1 GM tranny is a much different matter. If all goes well, I should have it IN by the end of May.

Last edited:
dissassemble every single piece and shot-peen and pack all the shafts and gears in dry ice to stress relieve them. Depends where the stock trans failed in the first place. Anyone know on Teds car what let go?

Back