Mark VIII brake convert..Addendum, please read!!

phils89sc

Although not as important to some, but important to me is something I discovered that I do not think was in the brake conversion article on the MN12 BBS.

I did mine a week ago. I got the spindles/Hubs from a 93 SC. I had to buy new sway bar end links, rotors, brake pads. I used the brake calipers and brackets from a 93 or 94 Mark VIII. Everything went together well with the exception of my ABS sensors. The 89 sensors are too short to fit all the way through the spindle and end up only going about 1/8" over the ring on the hub, not covering enough area to make the ABS functional.

I guess I will just have to get new ABS sensors for the later model, but just thought you all should know.

Thanks

Phil;

I beleive all the 89-92 used the smaller sensors, as my 90 had the same problem when I switched to the 93 spindles. Luckily I had the 93 sensors as well.

I'll try and remember to check for sure, but I believe on my 89 and Duffy's 92 we used the stock ABS sensors in the 93 spindles. Even though they do not fully extend over the sensor ring, my ABS has been working properly for a couple of years now.

Did you two actually have an ABS code or have the ABS not function properly? Or were you just afraid it would not work and did not try it with the original sensor?

I did have an issue with the Mustang hubs. The ABS ring was pressed on too far up the hub. We pressed it back down until it was flush with the back face of the hub (where it meets the spindle) and everything was fine.

I don't think my ABS works...

I had to hit the brakes kinda hard a few days ago, on a wet surface and they did skid. The ABS was fully functional before the install.

The only gripe I have about the new setup is that the brake pads I bought (don't laugh, I bought the WearEver Premium from Advance Auto Parts), squeel like a stuck pig. I am going to be bringing them back tomorrow, can't stand it!! I will be going down to NAPA after I get my money back from AA, and get a good set of their premium pads.

I think the install did screw up my alignment though, would not be surprised, after all, the spindle is a major component of the front suspension.

I really can't tell how well the new brakes work as I don't drive them hard, I am afraid they will warp again, causing me further grief. Plus, now that I have fixed the fronts, I have found the rear rotors are way warped as well. Can't wait to tear into that right???

Anyway, anything bigger and of better design is worth the trouble in my book.

Phil

Back