PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in Colorado?? Need help...

95scgirl
04-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to your message board, so first I just wanna say "hi". My name is Brittany, and I have a 1995 Thunderbird SC. Its red with a beige/tan leather interior. I just bought the car a few weeks ago and I really like it. It only has 64,000 miles and its in really nice shape.

The first few weeks the car ran great, but then something happened.. I took it to the ford dealership here and they said it is a "bad headgasket" (does this sound right??) and that its gonna be $2,300 to fix. Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but that sounds like a lot of money for a stupid gasket.. I'm a student and don't have that kind of money, especially since I just financed the car.

Would there possibly be ANY of you guys in the Denver/Boulder area that knows how to work on these cars?? I was thinking maybe if someone could help me I could even do it myself?? I'm NOT afraid of braking a nail or anything :D

I don't have a dad, or any brothers to help me so I'm on my own.

I've changed oil before, but thats about it. Plus I think it would be kind of nice to say I fixed it myself.

How much would it cost if I did it myself in just parts??

Is there any local "club" in colorado that goes racing or anything???

I saw an older black sc the other day with chrome wheels of some sort in Westminster, and I think it was a stickshift???? I didn't know they made these cars in a stickshift???

Well thanks in advance for any help!!!

Brittany ;)

Digitalchaos
04-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Hello. First, to ensure the headgaskets have failed, check your oil & coolant. The coolant will probably have black streaks, and the oil will look like coffee possibly foam. Do not drive or run the engine with bad headgaskets, as coolant mixing with oil is bad for the engine.

As for price, most people usually report about 1200 dollars for a shop to repair these gaskets. However, the gasket itself can be replaced for as little as 10 dollars, its a FelPro. All other cost is labor, so as you guessed it would be much cheaper for you to do it. Unfortunatley I can not provide assistance in this area, but there are many others on the SCCoA who certainly can.

As for manuals, the Supercoupe happens to be the only MN12 with a manual transmission, one of the reasons I have one! It is the M5R2 5 speed, out of the Ranger, F150, and some Mazdas. I believe there were only about 700 of these in '94.. therefore usually harder to find than automatics.

Goodluck, and welcome.

lowflying90
04-12-2003, 10:17 PM
there was a warranty recall on the head gaskets for 94 and 95. i think it was 7 years or something like that though. i'm sure someone knows the exact details of it. maybe ford will work with you on it if the time limit is over already.

my headgaskets cost me $650 to have done.

Jeff

Thomas A
04-12-2003, 11:48 PM
for as little as 10 dollars,

I wouldn't plan on that. They are a bit more then that. The job is rather extensive for most people. It sure isn't for beginers, like myself :) There are a couple of guys out there that you might talk to. Jeremie Schall, Todd Jelle, Dr. Fred to name a few. A typical headgasket job will probally run somewhere around $1200-$1500.

Thomas

lube70
04-12-2003, 11:59 PM
Did you purchase this car from a dealer???? Most dealers offer warranties on vehicles within so many miles. Also, the 94-95's were prone to head gaskets and the SC's in general were prone to this due to poor engineering.

Anyway, I would try to stay away from dealers since they really don't know much about these cars (Two dealers call me for advice on these cars!!!!). Try getting in touch with Dr. Fred, Jeremy, or others in the area. They should be able to recommend a mechanic in the area.

Also, if you need any other info, feel free to call (973) 277-4294 as I run the New Jersey Chapter of the SCCOA called the New Jersey Thunderbird and Cougar Club (NJTACC.COM).

I'd be glad to advise you if you need help.

Don O'Neill, Jr.

plev72
04-12-2003, 11:59 PM
If you financed it, did you go through a dealer of some kind? If you did, I would go after the dealer, usually they offer at least a 30 day warranty. A headgasket is a major repair... and like they said, you don't want to run the car if the headgasket is blown (I did... now I've got to get the entire engine rebuilt ... haven't decided yet whether I'm going to spend $2000 or $8500 ... nothing comes cheap :-( ) The amount you were quoted to get the headgaskets done is really too much. Also, if do end up doing the headgaskets, you should probably think about replacing the spark plugs and wires while you have everything apart.

Paul

Thomas A
04-13-2003, 12:28 AM
usually they offer at least a 30 day warranty

If she signed the buyers guide stating the car is being sold As-Is, then there is nothing legally she can do. However, if you go talk to them, they might help you out somehow. Maybe do the work at a discounted price, get the parts at cost, or even split the bill with you. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Thomas

92bird
04-13-2003, 02:05 AM
Hello, did that black SC you saw in westminster look like this one???

http://members.tccoa.com/92bird/Ron/MVC-001S.jpg

If so, that was ME!!!!! I live in Louisville.

Well, you've got mail about the headgaskets! I'd be happy to help you with them!

We don't have a colorado "club" so to speak, but there are a few of us that get together occasionally. This summer there is gonna be a lot of stuff going on. Did you know the Thunderbird Nationals is gonna be in Pueblo??

Todd and his girlfriend Michele come down to Denver quite often (they live in Sterling). Michele has a '93 5 speed, and Todd has a '92 and a '94 automtic. oh, and I'm sure Michele would like to meet another SC "girl" hehe.

Kevin Varnes
04-13-2003, 03:38 AM
Good job stepping up to the plate to help a fellow SCer in need Jeramie. Always good to see.

Brittany, the gasket set you will need will run about $130-150. Also plan on new head bolts ($30) and having the heads machined ($30-40). Your car is in good hands. Jeramie and Fred are both class acts and ace mechanics on these things. Good luck with your car. Once you get the head gaskets replaced it should be relatively problem free especially with the low mileage that you have.

92bird
04-13-2003, 04:27 AM
Might be wise to replace o2 sensors, since they usually get fried when they come in contact with coolant. Maybe plugs and wires as long as we are in there too...

Figure $120/pair for o2 sensors, $40 for wires, and $36 for plugs. Then 5 qts of oil and a filter too, and a new Thermostat isn't a bad idea since the coolant is drained. In fact, I have an extra 190* t-stat in the garage I'll even donate to you :)

J-

rivlee
04-13-2003, 10:45 AM
As you can see, SC'ers are a good bunch. ;)

That crew in CO are considered "crazies" but I can tell you from personal experience, they are great people who are knowledgable and very willing to help others. You're in good hands. :p

Lee

95scgirl
04-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Wow, you guys are GREAT!!! Jeramie, I got your email! You are totally sweet!!!! :) Very nice community you guys have here!!

-Brit

2 Hot 2 Handle
04-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Brittany, Great to have you on board with the rest of the CO bunch, We live up in NE CO....Sterling..
We know Jeramie very well, & I can attest to his knowledge of the SC.
If hes willing to help you out ...take him up on it.
He's a nice guy.
It would be great if you could get together with all of of local guys & gals just to hang out, sometime & talk cars,etc...Not only that but you would love to see what some of our cars look like!
We get up to Denver at least twice a month.

on another note our 92 SC just made the top 10 ...fastest SC list, last weekend. Michele is the driver...so, now theres a fast girl in the top 10
Hope to meet you soon!
Todd & Michele
These ar our 3 SCs...a 92 Auto, 93 5speed, & 94 Auto

http://www.tj-d-signs.com/Pictures/3_birds_in_the_nest.jpg

Smoof
08-26-2004, 05:35 PM
92bird, you're in Louisville? Where at? I'm in Louisville as well! I don't yet have an SC, but I'm actually getting really close to buying one. I'm having it checked-out by Ford today. I have some posts up in the technical section about it. It's good to know there are a few people in CO with SC's, espessially one right in Louisville with me!

92bird
08-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Are you buying the red '91 that was for sale locally? I saw that in front of safeway the other day... Its a nice looking car.

email me 92bird at comcast dot net

Jeramie

92bird
08-26-2004, 08:57 PM
by the way, here's a current pic of my car:

http://members.tccoa.com/92bird/sc1/sc1.jpg

89SCK@t
08-26-2004, 09:44 PM
if anyone made it out to Colorado Springs lately, there are about 3 of em i have seen in CS...then there is mine...the white beast, and the 35th anny down at Ft Carson..

Stephen

1990_XR7SC
08-28-2004, 08:11 PM
if anyone made it out to Colorado Springs lately, there are about 3 of em i have seen in CS...then there is mine...the white beast, and the 35th anny down at Ft Carson..

Stephen

I live in the springs and I just purchased my white XR7 5 speed. haven't seen any other SC's or XR's around so far. Britt. there is a very good board here in colorado for racing(not for just SC's) there is pretty much always somthing going on there. the website is coloradoracing.net ....92 bird when is that race in PMI? I live 30min's from there and I wouldn't mind checking that out or even competing.
oh and one more thing how much boost and vac are you guys seeing at this altitude?(stock pully)

89SCK@t
08-29-2004, 09:10 AM
I live in the springs and I just purchased my white XR7 5 speed. haven't seen any other SC's or XR's around so far. Britt. there is a very good board here in colorado for racing(not for just SC's) there is pretty much always somthing going on there. the website is coloradoracing.net ....92 bird when is that race in PMI? I live 30min's from there and I wouldn't mind checking that out or even competing.
oh and one more thing how much boost and vac are you guys seeing at this altitude?(stock pully)

I did have a 89 red XR7 5 spd, then i saw the most beautiful girl driving an 89 red XR7 auto, about 1 1/2 years ago...havent seen her since...*sigh*

XR7 w/stock pulley
vac - 17
boost - (w/ vac leak) about 8-10

89SC 10% pulley
vac - 18-20
boost - (w/ vac leak, huge gouge in supercharger rotor) 12-15...

Stephen

J.D.
08-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Who? The girl or the XR7 auto? :confused:

89SCK@t
08-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Who? The girl or the XR7 auto? :confused:

Welllll....both, the girl more than the car....most beautiful brunette i have ever seen...*sigh* :p

stephen

J.D.
08-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Are beautiful girls as rare as XR7s in Colorado? :D
Anyway, don't worry too much. I'm sure someone is taking good care of her. ;)

89SCK@t
08-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Are beautiful girls as rare as XR7s in Colorado? :D
Anyway, don't worry too much. I'm sure someone is taking good care of her. ;)

Are you talking about the girl or the car that time?? :p I could take care of both of em...

Stephen

PS -- Beautiful girls are as rare as XR7's in colorado, Ive only seen one...of each...

J.D.
08-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Touche! :)