tranny question

Aztec92

hello all i was wondering would anybody know if a torque converter for a 92 sc tbird is slipping can it effect the tranny as in burning it up or damaging it???
i had a tranny rebuilt but when i got the car back i notes that the torque converter was slipping took it back the car the guy tore the converter apart and said he might of got it just to drive it around and if the noise comes back he might need to put another tranny in so i did the noise was still there i drovre it for about a month and now the tranny do's not shift to a higher gear when i need to speed up so im back at the shop and the guy wants to charge me another $1300 to rebuiled it again!!!!
any info will be helpful thanks

Your mechanic messed up. He should have given you a new torque converter when he did the first rebuild, so the Q is did he really rebuild the trans, I think not. If it were me, I would not pay another $1300 to fix what was supposed to be fixed the first time around. Either get him to fix it for free or find a better trans shop.
I've been told that what they call a rebuild is just a replacement of some seals and rings and not a true rebuild. Contact Southern Gear or other company that has a good rep for a quote.
Good luck

That's Crazy

Sure sounds fishy.

The guys drops the tranny and tries to overhaul the converter?
I agree with the search for another mechanic.
Go to the Northern California board and locate Ron Randall. Send him a private message and have him do your transmission this time. He is part of this community and owns a tranny shop. He will do it right at a reasonable price.

I just finished my own trany rebuild. Got the master rebuild kit and rebuilt converter. The converter cannot be rebuilt by a trans shop. Only replacement. DO NOT PAY THIS GUY AGAIN! Make him fix it right or file a claime against him in court. Just make sure you have everything in black and white like times you talked to him on phone or stoped by his shop. This is why I did my own trans. It was very tricky at best but if you read and ask a lot of questions It can be done. I have never had a trans apart before I did this AOD but now it works perfect. It cost me about $300. and lot of beer. :)

Back