Water Wetter

JAFO

Just ordered some from Summit Racing, since I can't find it locally. Costs as much to ship as it does to buy the stuff. Figured it was worth a try. Anyone had a noticeable difference in temp from using it? Enough to show on the gauge? Debating replacing the coolant at the same time. It's only ~6 mos old, but I've read that's a good habit to get into with aluminum heads (or is that once a year?).

Try auto zone...pep boys...

Tyr auto zone or Pep Boys. They carry it and it does work well. It reduces cylinder head temps. Best used with a leaner Anti-freeze mix (recommended). Any whoo, try there first, not worth the 8 dollars shipping.

Don

Re: Wetter Water

One of the fastest SC guys told me he uses a water wetter.

BUT................Don't go looking for big hp/TQ gains from wetter water. None of you are in his class!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR
_________

No Pep boys in MS, couldn't find it at any AZ's or other usual suspects. Already ordered, no bigee compared to the cost of other things I've bought for the SC. ;)

LOL, no, not looking for any gains, just lower temps. It's starting to heat up here!

Last edited:
190, not sure of brand, also ~6 mos old. Mechanic I know did that for me when doing the valve cover gaskets. He always gets OEM, no off brand. It runs cooler than it did when I first got it, but sometimes still gets to the "M" if I get on it. Usually straight up between O & R. What that translates into temp-wise, I have no idea.

Re; T-stat

190 is very slightly cooler than stock. I was probing to find out if you were using a Cooler T-stat.

68COUGAR

I say 190, but whatever stock is. This guy is very particular. Thought about a lower temp, but this was a while back and I just now got the chip. I think I'm within normal range for our cars, considering being in the South. I hope. Thought the WW might just be another trick to keep it just a bit cooler. Maybe I should be asking about a fan upgrade for next?

I don't beat on the car by any means, just want to do whatever I can to prevent problems.

Re: from the South

JFO,

I've read your posts, & you seem to know what your're doing.

About the T-stat, my advise is to ask the Mustang boys what they are using, & go one step cooler.

Then ask yourself where you want to be in the street racing community?

68COUGAR

it get's to the "m" ?? Doesn't sound like you have a problem really if this is as high as it gets. NAPA sells a product like 'water wetter' , but made by CRC, it's called "Engincool" , never used it myself, i always thought it was 'snake oil' but I have had customers tell me it works (i work at a NAPA store). So it might be worth a try, save the shipping.

A Word of Caution

Having raced circle track for some years, Ive used many of "the latest and greatest" Products like Water Wetter, barring recent formulaic changes, have a rather nasty side effect. If you should be driving and have an event like a heater core failure, or any situation where hot coolant fumes enter the driver compartment, the vapors will render you unable to breath. It was bad enough in my Pro Stock with minimal glass enclosing the cockpit, I shudder to think what it'd be like in a sealed environment like a passenger car. After that experience five years ago i ran straight water in the Pro Stock. This was five years ago so the manufacturers may have corrected this problem, but I mention it only so you guys can make am informed decision regarding your cars and more importantly your safety.
Keep those 'Birds flyin
Be quick, have fun, but be safe

^^^
I hadn't ever heard that but I've never had a hot failure of a heater core with WW either. That would definitely suck.

Here's another WW issue. They state that WW doesn't work with anitfreeze concentrations in excess of 15%. Thats all well and good but the other function of antifreeze is boilover protection. You need boilover protection in our cars to about the 230-240 range. This is because the automatic opteration of the fan doesn't come on until the 220 range. Now if you've got the fan hardwired and never see temps over 200 then you're OK but if you're using the fan system as its designed then its likley you'll have a problem running WW at the recommended antifeeze concentrations (ie none).

They state that WW doesn't work with anitfreeze concentrations in excess of 15%.

You must have misread the directions Dean. It can be used in any conentration of antifreeze but RedLine recommends using at least 15% antifreeze in street vehicles. I have an old bottle and this is what the directions say word for word.

Directions for use: 1 ounce (3-4 capsful) per quart or 1 bottle per automotive cooling system of 12-20 quarts. Less than 50% antifreeze provides further improvement in temperature reduction, but at least 15% antifreeze should be used in street vehicles. Red Line's WaterWetter provides excellent corrosion protection for modern cast iron, aluminum, and brass systems. Can be used with distilled or tap water. Change cooling system annually for best protection.

I've been using WaterWetter in both of my SC's for four or five years now and I believe it's a legitimate product. Check out this link to Redline's web site for more information.

www.redlineoil.com/whyredline.htm

Last edited:
RMI-25?

The WW came in yesterday, but now I see a discussion on a another board about something I've never heard of: RMI-25. Supposed to be similar to WW, possibly more effective, but it also cleans and lubricates while it's in there. Anyone tried this stuff in an SC, compared to WW?
I'll still use the WW, since I have it, but I might flush it out again in the next few months and try this other stuff, if I hear more good stuff about it.

I've been using WW for about a year

and I have never had any cooling temp problems. Jimmy is correct about usage. That is what it says on the bottle. Murrays auto parts has it right on the shelf. I also have the double air deflector setup and I think that helps also.

Re: I've been using WW for about a year

cary Jackson said:
I also have the double air deflector setup.

Ok, I'll bite! What's a Double Air Deflector? & how does it work?

Curious 68COUGAR

double air deflector.

If you have the june 2001 issue of charging thunder, Vernon Cradier wrote a nice article about cooling. He replaced the stock deflector with one from 92-98 pontiac Grand Am. It's a little bigger than the stocker. He also took another one and placed it upside down right above the lower one. It fills the open space from the bottom of the radiator to the bumper and deflects the air into the radiator. In my opinion it makes perfectly good sense, and you can never have too much cooling.

Back