Power Window Problems...

iwannanSC

Alright, here we go again. This one concerns the power window on the passenger's side. When I put the window down, the little U-type clip towards the rear that holds the window pulls away from it. The front U-type clip still holds. This makes the window pull down crooked and off-track. What do I need to do to repair this? I tried putting some silicone in the U-type clip to see if it would hold the window but it didn't work. Any suggestions? Summer weather is on the way and I really want to be able to put the windows down!

Thanks,

Matt

Window Prob

Hey I had the same problem with my SC. I tried silicone and it didn't hold. So i used epoxy and that has held ever since. Try it out..
-anthony

Ok, tried epoxy twice (the 2 ton stuff) and it still pulls out the first time I move it. What's the deal? Is something bent or broken in the window mechanism? Please help, it's getting warmer and I would really like to use that window!:(

You may want to check with a local auto glass place and ask if they have any metal clips to replace the plastic ones the car comes with. Sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't. The guy I went to didn't have any at the time but said he would keep an eye out for some. 1 week later he gave me a call.
Apparently he could not order them.
(He would take them off broken windows people would bring in
to him when he replaced car windows.)

People trust me on this one. I have been to dealers, ,auto glass places etc and every one of their fixes has failed!

Heres how I fixed mine.

1. The root cause is that the felt has probably worn off of the rubber strips that run along the door, both inside and outside the window. This causes too much drag when trying to put the window down. I replaced both.
2. Check the rear window track. If it is rotted, replace it, they are easy to change and inexpensive.
3. Spray silicone lube in the front track where the window slides up and down inside the door to alleviate friction.
4. Remove the glass and the two clips. Clean the old adhesive off very thourgly, be sure to mark the location where they were on the glass. Scuff the window up where the clips sit with some course sandpaper.
Mix up some JB-WELD and apply lots to the clips. Re-assemble it, put the window up and leave it for 48 hours. You will have no more trouble. My windows are great now, they run quickly and nice and tight, just like when the car was brand new. This JB Weld fix has lasted a long time, I haven't had a failure yet.

Back