Lost My Lug Lock Nut!!

ThunderCoupe94

Are they all the same or am i screwed?? I have a flat tire and have to get that darn thing off my ride and my dumb bro in law used my crap and lost the lock nut now i have to try and find something to get it off as my car needs front brakes and has a flat tire. Someone please let me know FAST!!

Jay

Well the only way ive done it was to take a socket slightly smaller than the lug and beat it on there with a hammer. Crappy sockets will probally break, and sometimes its a real PITA to get the lug back out of the socket. Ive done this before and broke two sockets and got one locked in the socket but i still got my wheels off. I suggest when you get them off dont get a new set of locking lugs, if you still have stock wheels. Hope this helps, Good luck!

If they were all the same, there really wouldn't be much point to having them !! ;)

The Ford OE wheel locks are supplied by McGard. To order a replacement from a Ford dealer, or direct from McGard, you need to either have the colour code I.D. off the lock key, or the I.D. number from the registration tag that comes with the car, usually attached in a small pouch to the spare tire wrench or close to that. Ford will not be able to order a replacement using your vehicle's serial number only, the wheel lock I.D. #s aren't recorded with the VIN when the vehicles are built. Some of the dealers may have a master set in their shop that will work, or there are tools by Blue Point and other companies to hammer on over a wheel lock, that lets you remove them with a socket.

hope this helps
cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Just went through this

When I went to do my brakes I found that the tire shop had stripped the locking lugs off the lug nut with an over torqued impact wrench.
After beating on the lug nut for several hours I drove it down to a tire shop and they took it off in 10 seconds with a "air chisel".
So if you can get that tire pumped up with a can of Fix-A-Flat or something , just take to a tire shop. If the tire won't pump up, have it towed to the tire shop.

The lug lock for mine was gone when I bought the car. Got 2 off with a chisel and hammer. The other two I tried the socket thing then ended up welding a nut onto the lock nut and cranked them off. No matter which way you do it it's a pain in the *** but that's the point right?

most body shops have a tool for this sort of thing. bet you can buy the same tool, i would look at some local auto parts, or mac, snapon venders. i tried the air chisel thing, didnot work for me. i had to cut the lugnut with a plasma torch.

I called a tire place today and am takin her tomorrow night after work for them to get em off 10 bucks is the charge thanks for everyones help.

Jay

Had a similar problem withthe missing Lock key. But I found out luckily after I picked up my SC and then drove 600 miles. Went to my local Ford garage to use theur master set, but could not find the right key. While I was at the garage looked in the trunk and on the bottom of the spare tire cover was the number of the lock key. The ford dealer ordered one had it in about a week. I called another ford dealer and they said that they also did not have a complete set of master keys.

Most tire places will have a special tool that works with most locks. That is what I had to do. And I would stay away from anyone who says they can use an air chisel on them unless they will accept any damage to the rim or stud, just in case. My first stop when I had to get mine off was at Pepboys and the idiot there said sure we can get them off we got a cutting torch in the shop.... I just looked at him like the idiot he was and left. Just go to Ford of a good tire shop..

A guy dropped off a (new to him) late model Crown Vic at my pals shop for a brake inspection. Noone could find the wheel locks for the 15" aluminum rims, since they were the same design as ours I got mine and tried it but no go, so I got the 1 from my other SC and it worked. When he came to pick his car up, we told him not to use locks on those wheels b/c no body on their right mind would steal them anyway. The moral is, I don't think there are many designs so try a friends. Good luck

It only takes about 2 mins per wheel with a 1/2" tip chisel, a 1/4" tip punch, and a led hammer.

before I had this figured this out on my thunderbird, the first one took me about an hour. I tried tack welding a nut to the end of it. The lug nut was WAY too pourous, and cracked off with 3 tacks in the shape of a triangle. they were healthy tacks, too. Guarded the wheel from sparks with kevlar? fire blanket.

Then, since that didn't work, I just took the chisel, split the nut with the chisel 90* into the locking nut, then split it again into a "V" shape so I'd have a flat little spot to use the punch to hammer the lug to the left. Came off excellent. Just make sure the punch is not going to slip off and hit the stud or the wheel. I didn't even graze either one at all.

You almost have to get mad enough not to give a krap about the stud or wheel to get the nut started, but like I said just make sure the punch is firmly planted before each hit with the hammer. I ended up splitting a lead hammer in two, had to grab the other one.

Tap lightly at first to get the locking nut to form to the end of the punch a little, and then hit it like hell, while checking to make sure the punch is planted against the nut well after every single hit.

Had to do it on my mark VIII, also. Got all 4 off of that in 15 mins (yeah, I timed it) from the time I shut off the car to the time the tools were back in the drawers. Didn't lose any experience from a couple years ago on my first SC ;)

Didn't hurt the studs or rim at all, either.

Chris

um, I took mine to a tire shop and it took them about 35 seconds to put a tool on it and take them all off. Cost 5 bucks.

Back