auto to 5speed conversion

What year SC? That will determine if you have to swap the computer which is located behind the passenger side kickpanel in the passeneger compartment.

I am in Beaver Falls...where in "Da Burgh" are you?

If you are really looking to do this swap you have ALLOT of work ahead of you.

its an 89. i already did the swap, im just having problems getting it running. im not getting any spark. I talked to a couple of people at the auto electric place up the street and they told me to make sure that all the wires going into the tranny harness were matched up right. so i guess im going to try that next. any help would be greatly appricaited. btw Im like 45 mins east or pittsburgh right outside monroeville/greensburgh area
thanks

Well...the only wires going from the tranny to the EEC are for the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). That should be a Dark Green with White striped wire that goes to the Secondary Junction Block and then on to the items that use it.

Did you hook up the Clutch Switch which should be in the start circuit? When you say you have no spark I assume that means it would crank but not start right? If so the clutch switch is not going to be the problem.

Did yopu do anything to the engine when you did this swap?

Well to start off i used to have a 90 sc 5speed that i totaled. i went and bought this 89 auto that had blown hgs. i brought it home and pulled engine tranny. i ripped out all the auto tranny stuff (shifter, cables, however there is some little cable that i think is for the key lockout on the steering column). i installed the clutch pedal/resivior all that stuff. then i put my longblock and 5 speed tranny in it. hooked up all the wires and stuff. put the supercharger of the 89 in also. after i got it all in i tried to start it and nothing. i replaced the starter and starter relay box (located by the battery). i tried to start it and it cranked but no spark. i took all the 5speed stuff out of the car and put the auto back in i got the same problem. So i really dont think it has any thing to do with the conversion. however the speedo and tack gages jump when i turn the key?? also the milage will jump a mile hear and there. I tried to replace the dis, coil and cam sensor and still cant figure it out. any idea?? thanks

Every once in a while, in my 89 xr7, I would go to start it and the speedo would jump up to 120, the would be a wierd buzzing noise (very faint) and I would gain a couple of miles on the odometer. Never figured it out. Never happened in my 90. (not yet)

Joe

Just so you know there are differences between the wiring for the 89 EEC and the 90 EEC you swapped in. Not sure if this could be part of your problem. Do you know if it is lack of spark or lack of fuel that is stopping the engine from running? I do have a DIS System tester that might tell you what part of the DIS System is screwed if you find out you have no spark. Holiday weekend is a bad time for a trip to Monroeville area for me though.

Back