why won't my aftermarket cd player work

joelh

How many amps come with the car?
I have 2 and i think they are both shot
When i hooked up my new cd player i got no power at all
how do i bypass the amps?

well you might wanna check the fuse box under the hood... you might have blown a 5 amp fuse.... check that first... after that... you will need to bypass one of the amps on the tray in the trunck... you need to buy the kit from your local car autio store.... i think they are about 20 bux...

With the aftermarket deck you have to take out your factory amps and get a bypass cable(come with wiring harness kit for JBL premium ford $45CAD) and it comes with the neccessary instructions and parts.
Really simple to do no more then 2 mins.

um, i didn't bypass anything i just hooked up the deck to the factory system. i have the JBL premium, though. maybe it's different than you guys'. it thumps though!

ben m said:
um, i didn't bypass anything i just hooked up the deck to the factory system. i have the JBL premium, though. maybe it's different than you guys'. it thumps though!

:confused: yeah, me too.

Ya, you can wire straight into the amps if you don't mind all that background hiss and added distortion. It's up to you, sound quality is after all in the ear of the listener.

To answer the original question, if the radio lights up but you get no sound, it is *possible* the amps are bad, but not likely. More likely the radio is not *exactly* wired right. Did you connect the "amp remote" lead up? This is necessary to turn on the factory amps. This is the most common mistake.

If the radio does not light up, then the fuse under the hood labeled "memory" is likely to blame. This fuse has nothing to do with the amps, but is for your constant radio power only and often times gets blown during installation.

As for bypassing the amps, you don't want to do that unless you are ready to replace speakers and add your own amps/subwoofer. The factory JBL door speakers are 4", and won't sound too good when trying to reproduce full range music. The factory amp's output is crossed over, and the speakers have built in crossovers as well. You will get no bass at all without the factory sub.

I recommend that if you plan to use the factory amps (assuming you get them to work) that you purchase a "factory amp adapter" and connect it behind the radio. You will get much cleaner sound and you will not risk damaging the inputs on the factory amp from incorrect input voltages. They do run about $40 but they are worth it (like I said *if* you get the factory amps to work).

ya it is joel who bought the car from you and i took it to a local audio shop and it works fine for 5 bucks
thanks everyone

my wiring kit had a wire for amp turnon thats blue and a power antenna that also is blue i connected the power antenna because i assumed the amps would work alone and all the guy did was switch the wires and put wirenuts on all the wires instead of taping them

Back