how do i make the stock sub and amp work on deck?

Kris

what wires are for what on the stock stereo harness?

i have the stock jbl ford stereo, but the car has a newer kenwood deck running the door speakers instead of the stock one. how do i hook the sub and amp up to the new deck without wrecking anything? the new deck is a kenwood with 2 rca out's, and 4 speaker output.

thanks for any help

Last edited:
all you should have to do is pick up a ford, premium sound, deck wire harness (specify year) from a local stereo shop. ($10-15) there should be a square shaped plug and a wide flat one as well, hopefully, the harnesses are still in the vehicle and someone didn't chop them off. just wire the deck into the new harness and plug it into the vehicle harnesses. done. should have 4 speaker output plus the sub. (i believe this to be true for all the jbl sound systems, for sure on the early sc's / cougars.)

well, thanks for the info.

im gonna sound like an idiot, but i cant get the stock deck out of the dash? is there any special way to get it out?

thanks

see if you have a local shop that is a blaupunkt dealer the keys for their decks fit the ford ones perfectly. the are just wire bent into a "u" shape. just push them in until you feel a slight click, then tug out to the sides a little, and pull towards you. if you don't have a local blau dealer, or they are arseholes about it, you can snip some lengths of metal wire coat-hanger and bend them into a "u" shape. each end of the "u" will slide into the holes on each side of the deck. just do the same as above, except you won't feel any "click" just slide them in anywhere from 3/4 of an inch, to an inch.

hope this helps,

i got the deck out, and the harness is perfect. what wires are for what? does anyone have a diagram to show me what wires to put where?

thanks

get a ford premium sound harness from a local stereo shop. the colors on it will match the colors of the wires on your deck. (unless its really old) then just plug the new harness into the ford factory ones after you wired it to the deck, and you should be done. i highly recommend doing this, as it will keep you from hacking up the factory harnesses. especially if you get a different deck later on, because then, you'll be cutting out the old mess and installing a new one.

ok, i will buy one tomorrow. this harness, it is set up so you can run an aftermarket cd player or what?

the top harnesses/connectors (2) are the ones from the car. the (2) on the bottom are the ones you are going to purchase. they will have the same colored wires as your deck hanging off of them, just match them up to the same colored wires coming off the deck harness.

18067921-5ab2-02000180-.jpg

then just plug the new harnesses into the vehicle ones.

18067936-cffa-02000180-.jpg

thanks for the pictures, it didnt really make sense to me before, but now i see what you mean.

thanks

stock sub

when i put in a new stereo in my bird i had to bypass the stock sub because the new stereo was pushing more watts than the stock amp. also you should be able to buy the tools to take out the stock radio from meijer or wal-mart for cheap

Back