Exhaust sound clips please!!

talon660

I know this might sound like a repeat post, but it is not, and I know there are many V8 custom exhaust setups and sound clips out there but not much on the SC.

Ok, I've been planning my custom exhaust on my 94 for some time now, reading all the posts and I have come up with this:

2 1/4" downtubes from 2" ported collectors (stock manifolds)
NO cats
2 1/4" mandrel pipes to dual in-dual out 18" Magnaflow res. (or muffler, whatever you want to call it) and 2 1/4" pipes back to 2 1/2", 45 degree tips

I plan on doing several bolt-ons and tuning later to open up the intake side.
I know at least one SC owner has a similar setup on his SC.

Now for the questions:

1. Would I loose much low-end torque like the V8 guys?
2. Would I get a check engine light " " " " ?
3. I like an authoritive exhaust, much more than stock, but would there be too much drone?
4. With aluminum, mandrel bent piping, what would a ballpark price be (minus price of the res.)

Again, I would love to hear some soundclips from SC's with similar setups!

It's just not been a big deal for the SC groups to record their exhaust sounds.

1) Because of our supercharger, low end losses are minimal, but could be noticable. Especially if you currently have all stock exhaust. So it won't be like the V8 guys.
2) No, you shouldn't get a check engine light unless you damage the oxygen sensors somehow.
3) The resonator should help to eliminate drone. Drone is really just a resonance that is created in the exhaust from the exhaust pulses. A good quality resonator helps to combine the exhaust pulses from the two banks of the engine, smoothing the sound.
4) No idea. It depends so much on the area where you live. Some people could get it done for $200 including parts. Others would be looking at $800. Depends on the shop and the region. Check with a local shop. And also see if you can supply some of the parts. Sometimes you can find the mufflers and resonators for much less than a exhaust shop can find them if you want something other than a product they stock.

talon660 said:
I know this might sound like a repeat post, but it is not, and I know there are many V8 custom exhaust setups and sound clips out there but not much on the SC.

Ok, I've been planning my custom exhaust on my 94 for some time now, reading all the posts and I have come up with this:

2 1/4" downtubes from 2" ported collectors (stock manifolds)
NO cats
2 1/4" mandrel pipes to dual in-dual out 18" Magnaflow res. (or muffler, whatever you want to call it) and 2 1/4" pipes back to 2 1/2", 45 degree tips

Do a search for my user name and you will find a sound clip and my similar setup too boot. I have the 2 1/2 back from the stock converter going through a Magnaflow Res/muffler out to dumps. LOVE IT! Food for thought though, why go to a bigger pipe at the end? Keep it the same diameter. If anyone would really like to argue this thought, I will whip out the physics book and point out how hot gasses contract as they cool. Going to a larger pipe will actually slow down the exhaust. I know this is a little out of the box thinking, but that is what makes the world better :)
The best exhaust system would keep the exhaust moving at the exact speed it leaves the combustion chamber. This is almost impossible. Combine with it that you are joining two different pulses, this makes the job harder. My thought is the same size tube all the way to the back using the muffler as an area for the two pulses to mix and find the path of least resistance.

Back