No clutch pedal

ekesz13

After just replacing the clutch and slave cylinder, i have no clutch pedal at all. When I try to bleed the system, fluid barely drips out of the bleeder even when full open and someone is pumping the pedal. I expected it to at least spurt out when the pedal was pushed but no. I also have done what chiltons said, and with the bleeder closed, pumped it about 1.2 billion times and it still has absolutely no resistance. I checked the whole system, no leaks. Any advice?

Are you holding the clutch pedal to the floor, opening the bleeder screw, Then closing the bleeder screw, then release the pedal?

Jeff

Yep, and not a @#$% thing. Frustrating. Hey I read a post you had about using a screw driver to hold the throw out bearing back? I was trying to do that but the cat is in the way. If I can get in there, what did you do? Catch the front of it and pry it back toward the tranny, basically going against the installed spring?

It turned into a 3 person job. One to hold the clutch pedal one to keep fluid in the res. and me under the car to work the bleeder.

I used the largest screwdriver I had (about 13" long 1/2" wide blade) and pushed the throw out bearing twords the rear of the trans. I had a box end wrench over the bleeder screw and slipped a vacuum hose over the nipple. That way the wrench stays put and doesn't take much to open and close it.

As the pedal was depressed I would hold the throwout bearing as far back as I could and release the bleeder. Then close the bleeder and allow the throwout bearing forward again. After about 4 tries the pedal firmed up a fair amount and we just went back to doing it the normal way. It takes a while sometimes. Watch the fluid level or you have to start over again.

Jeff

Okay, I tried the bleed method many, many times, no luck. I released the hydraulic line from the slave cyclinder and as someone held down the pedal, I pushed on the spring loaded valve on the end of the hyd. line (coming down from clutch master cylinder). I just dribbled out. No pressure even when pumped. Has anyone had the clutch master cylinder go? Also, I had it out once before, but the engine was out. Is it possible to get it out without removing the brake master cyclinder? Chilton's says nothing about this. Is there a rebuild kit for it, or do I need to get a new one? Any help is appreciated.

No. Don't know if that was a joke question, but no. I filled it up and then did everything, all the while monitoring it. Since the fluid was dribbling out, one there was fluid and two I didn't need to refill the master cyclinder often because it was barely loosing level. That would be nice if a bonehead thing like that could solve this problem.

Don't get mad, I mentioned that because that's what I forgot to do and I didn' realize until I was gonna take the master off to buy a new one. It was empty, holy crap!

At this point I say bad master cylinder. There is a lot of pressure in there and if there was a clog then the pedal would be stiff.

Jeff

Superloop, I'm not mad, at least not at you. This car is a different story :mad: . Jeff, I think your right, has to be a bad master cylinder. There is just no pressure being created. I checked for a rebuild kit at Advance, Autozone, Napa with no luck. I'm about to call Ford or pony up the $100 bucks for a new one. Anyone rebuilt this or just go out and buy new.

Jeff, another thought. This thing was working before I took it out and now doesn't work when I put it back in. Could I have done something wrong on installation? I can't come up with anything, but maybe something is not installed correctly? The car has sat for a few years, probably just went south on me.

Well, did the clutch pedal pop loose form the master cylinder rod? This has happened to me b4, but I would think that you would be able to tell since the pedal just swings.

Jeff

Yeah, I checked that too. It was attached. I can hear the master cylinder stroking, and it is pushing a little fluid, but it just can't build pressure. Has to be an internal seal gone bad.

Mine was like that once before, but I had replaced the whole hydrolic system, it was a pain to get started.

I ended up popping the line back off the slave, and using a small screw driver to push open the valve in the end of the line(the one that seals the line when removed from the slave so it doesn't drip all over) With it wide open like that, one press of the master filled the line with fluid, I put it back on the slave and it bled normally after that. I think the system needs a bit of a prime sometimes, so try to at least get fluid going down the line with it disconnected from the slave.

Just be sure you DO NOT press on the pedal unless you are sure that you have the valve opened up.

Andy, do you know the P/N of the little black clip that holds the pushrod on the pedal arm? I read in a previous post of yours that you had experience with this piece. Yes, I broke it and my Ford dealer cant even identify it. Without it I am screwed. So I had two problems to this deal. My reservoir had a crack where the hose attaches, allowing me to suck air into the line each pump. Taking it out is when I found this. This is also when I found that the clip was partly broke and then I disenagrated it getting it off. Thanks for all your help guys, this was a hidden problem and tough to find. Damn thing wasnt leaking fluid, but when it would flex it would suck in air and then leak a bit.

Unfortunately no, I do not have the part number. When I broke mine I was lucky enough to have a spare that I pulled off a junkyard car at one time. I beleive someone said the F-150 used a similar part that will work for us, maybe the dealer would have better luck finding that.

Another option would be to try and reach "FastEd" from Ontario, he is a Ford parts counter person. He is great about digging up oddball SC part numbers.

Back