Strut rod nut/cap ?

MartianBob

Ok,

Just replaced the front shocks on my 94 SC.
Also changed the lower control arm bushings and ball joints.
Wow, she handles great! but... there is a chunky/clunky noise when going over bumps.

I just checked the front subframe bolts. I have a 1/2 in. torx E-18 socket solely for this purpose. Theyr'e all tight.

The three upper shock nuts are tight. Everything down below has been torqued down.

I think the problem may be my new nuts from Ford.
I bought two nuts from Ford, for the tenstion strut (aka strut rod) where it connects to the lower control arm. This was suggested in both my manuals. The bushings were replaced too.

The origonal nuts were plain large heavy duty nuts.
The new nuts from Ford were three times as long and capped at one end. It doesn't look like these new bushings are under much pressure. I think I may have bottomed out on the nut.
Is it ok to simply cut off the end of this nut so I'm sure I'm torqueing the suspension components and not the bottom of this nut?

Has anyone had this problem???
Any front end tips or suggestions are very much appreciated?

thanks
Bob

I would go ahead and either cut the end off the nut, or go back to Ford and find out what wrong part they gave you. As it is most likely the wrong nuts for the application. Cutting the end off shouldn't impact it negatively, and you are probably correct that you are bottoming out.

Measure the inside of it and the threads on the rod before you cut it off. Mayby you need to tighten the nut on other side of the frame. That cap or rounded nut head doubles as a stop for when you turn your wheel to far. I think it is torqued to 110 lb ft., I'm about to do my 90SC and they already have that type of nut on them. Good luck

Woops, forgot about that.

He's correct. Just steal some threads from the other side to shorten your side up a bit.

Back