head gasket success rate?

flopes64

I blew my head gaskets last week in my 90 sc. It blew at the #3 cylinder I believe . I only drove it about 2 miles after they blew and parked it.The engine has about 124,000 on it . I did the felpro gasket set the new fel pro bolts and had the heads cleaned. I am probably gonna finish it up tomorrow . I was just wondering what the success rate is for these engines after blowing the head gasket?

all depends how long you drove with water in your oil, water doesnt lube the bearings too well;) . Unless you had an aftermarket oil pressure gauge or remove the pan and inspect the bearings theres no way to tell

If it blows between the coolant passage and the bore you might not get coolant in your crank case, so it probably depends. I have seen some guys blow headgaskets fix the car and blow them again within a few months. Getting the air purged from the cooling system is a hard thing to do sometimes and a lot of people don't realize that they are low.

Happens every year, you wait and see. A group of Newbies will buy SC, Over heat SC and blow headgaskets , and sell SC.

Jeff

or if they hydraulic and water enters the cylinder and bends a rod(piston sits below deck unlike others). Sometimes the ring-lands crack also... usually they turn out alright

Back