Radiator flush

v8killr

Ok i'm going to do a radiator flush and the more i started thinking about it the more i started to realize i have never done one before,lmao......I have done all kinds of work on this and other cars but have never done a radiator flush i still find it a little hard to believe.
Anyway can someone that has done one give me a hand here on what the best way to go about this is.I don't want to overheat the heads or not get all the fluid out.I think i know how to do it,i just want to make sure...It's going to start getting hot down here and i want to change out the fluid and add some of that water wetter.
Thank you david

well all i do is drain the coolant and then fill with water, run the engine to operating temp, drain again.....and repeat until all you get is clear water. Then fill radiator with antifreeze, about 2 gallons.....if it's still not full top off with water. I also use a cooling system treatment that was actually designed for diesel engines but if very beneficial for any car with cast iron block and aluminum heads, because it reduces electrolysis (big concern for head gaskets) and cavitation (air bubbles) in the cooling system. you can buy it From ford but you can also get it from NAPA, it's part number 4056, the name of it is "NAPAKOOL". i use it in everything i own but especialy anything with aluminum heads.

hey i forgot one thing, you may already know...but when refilling the cooling system, take out the plug that's in the pipe coming off of the water outlet, that is an air bleed. when water comes out of that put the plug back in. Otherwise you will get an air lock in your cooling system and might overheat.

Can you be more specific on the location plug you're talking about??? You don't mean the catch can tube do ya???

I recently flushed mine, and now it seems ot run hotter...

Also what is the deal on the different thermostats??

It was 87 degrees the other day (well the high was 87), and I didn't get past the M in decent stop/go traffic, but it wasn't getting past the O before I flushed it...

It gets pretty hot here, so i want to getthis looked at before it gets hotter...

its a bolt on a tube that comes out from the t-stat housing. should have somthing on it that says "take me off before refilling radiator blah blah blah"

LOL don't I feel like a MO-RON right now!!!

I have seen it 100s of times, and for some reason just looked right past it and payed it no attention when flushing my radiator!!!!

Hope this fix's the issue!

Have a good'n

Go to any parts store or WAL-MART and get the FLUSH-N-FILL KIT, follow he directions and USE LOW PRESSURE from your garden hose. Also turn the heater on HOT so it can flush the heater core...

Back