Blackbird SC, & rivlee, you asked....

pro street rich

How do you put a big block in, very eazy and very cheap... The engine will fit without ANY cutting to the S.C. You will need a good Cobra "R" hood for clearance on the top. A new rad, the one for a mustang works just fine. I like using the C6 auto as it will fit to the stock cross member. You need to get a driveshaft made. Thats it, run your gas lines, unplug the brain boxes, aand go fast for cheap.... The car that I had at last years nat's was done in less than two months of extra time... You don't have to cut anything and you still use the stock shifter and gas linkage... Now rivlee you asked about weight, not a problum, if you go with the light weight engine parts you wind up 28 lbs lighter that a full 3.8 sc engine with all the coolers and stuff... So your turning will not be a big deal either... This is a fun and eazy install and the end results are to die for... Big block vette's just wonder what just happened to them. Those GT Mustangs will never catch you either, so if you want to do it I will be more than willing to share info on this swap......Rich

huh !!

I have wondered what all it would take to do the swap,there is alot of room on there once you have the 3.8 out.
Rich is that a big block ford or chevy,or does it matter.My father has a 427 that has been sitting for years that i can have.That would be one cool project.Parts would be cheaper and easier to get.

FORD FORD<FORD

V8killr,how dare you put a chevy in a Ford...If you are talking a Ford 427, I am sorry, but from what you said about cost I know you are talking brand X... Right now 460's are cheap and eazy to come by. The aftermarket is also on them, so they also have become cheap to do. Now if you got a Ford 427 maybe we can do some horse trading.... The 427 Ford has gotten VERY $$$ to use and the 460's have gotten cheaper... This is the route that I went and I am very happy with what I got from the $$$ spent...Rich

Rich,
Did you have any left side valve cover clearance problems with the master cylinder? What year car is it in?

Mike

fitting

If you do a early bird with the big master, you either have to change the master, or off set the engine 1/2" to the curb side. This is not a big deal to do. If you have a later bird, there is nothing to get in the way... I did a 35th bird that I had at the MN12 nat's last year and it was no big thing. There has to be some pic's of it as there were a lot of them taken....Rich

Did you use the IRS rearend.

DId you keep the front stock k=member.

Did you know the 429 is 1/2 in narrow than the mod motor.

what do you think about installing a v-10 mod with blower.

And what size motor do you have in your fire truck:D

Last edited:
Randy.....

The irs is still in the car, all I did was put in the axle's from a 5 speed car as they are stronger. I have not looked into the mod engines as I don't have any laying around here.. The V10 might be too long, that is something that you will have to check the total size on. As for the fire truck, that wouls belong to the fire department, not me so I don't know.... But if it was mine, it would be LARGE, and that you can take to the bank....The last thing, when I dropped that big block in that 35th car I had at the nat's, EVERYTHING was left uncut.... I have plans of putting a 3.8 sc back in that car one of these days. This was done because someone said that it would not fit unless you did a lot of cutting and spicing... This was not the case....even the stock gas linkage and the stock floor shifter were kept in the stock location....I hope this answers your ???'s and if not ask me and I will try again......Rich

PRO STREET RICH,
Iwas looking at a v10.From the trans flang to the center of the motor mount,
it was the same lenght as my 95 LX with a 4.6. From the trans to motor mount.

The extra length of the V10.Was from the center of the motor mount,to the
frount .about 5 inches.So a V10 will physically fit.With out the cutting torch.

I would like to drop a V10 in,with a blower on it.Blower kits are being sold
for the V10.

Would you know where I could get some info on how to swap out computer.
like pin info_Or just swap the harness.

I got a 460 and a clevland.But i wanted to do a swap that I could cuss at
more.My local junk yard has a 02 lighting,I have been looking at to.

I want to do the V10,or the lighting.I going to do a mod-motor.If I do a swap.

I would appreciate it if you would shoot me any thoughts you may have.

I ordered a k-member with adjustable a-arms with coil overs today.So I
will have plenty room under the bird.

both motors V10 or lighting motor are taller but I think I would be able to
lower them a inch or two.Then use a taller cobra R hood.May half to mod
the hood some.

R.B.

Last edited:
Randy good luck on this

When it comes to those brain boxes, you are going to have to find someone who can go wire by wire to make the swap. There are some kits on the market now for some of the swaps that give you the new harness that is a plug in deal. Where to pick this up or what is out there is something that I don't know.Maybe if you check on a page for this engine you might have some luck... The one thing that I ran into was the height of the engine. You may be right in the fact that you will have to mod the hood.. I know the 460 is close in the front to hitting,but the "R" hood does give it the needed room..The 460 with the trick flow heads will be less weight and power is very eazy to get out of these engines,with a lot of after market parts around for cheap$$ as well. If you go with that 02 engine you should get all the harness's and the brain box at the same time. That might be a better way to go...Good luck on this one.......Rich

Hmmmm... maybe I should start looking for a 89 or 90 body with a blown up 3.8 to stuff my second 429 in? Although, if I do that, the first 429 will never get finished and put in the '71 Mustang. Decisions decisions. :D

That is good to know that it fits right in. I even have a spare C6. With say 5 spd 2.73 gears, the 429/C6 combo would be an astronomical blast to drive. Although I'd have to have it registered to a friend that lives in another county. I'd fail emissions quite horribly. :(

Maybe I'll 'break in' the 11:1, solid cammed 429 in an SC before it goes in the 'stang. :D :) :p

BlackbirdSC,

If your lucky and have the 429 Boss it is 1/2 narrower than the 4 valve mod-motor.
so it will fit.And you can change the spark plugs later on.

PRO STREET RICH,

I have a old mustangs & fast ford mag. It had a stang with a V10 ken bell blower.
So if the V10 fits in a stang , one should fall in my 90 SC. In the artical it said he
was having trouble with finding someone to tune the computer.That been about
3 yrs ago. SO I hope someone by now can do the tune , for the V10.Thats the hold
up for me trying to do the swap.

I wonder if BRIAN HERRON of APTEN can do this.

R.B.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, mine are 'normal' 429s. Well... sorta. The ones a complete '69 from a T-bird. The other is from unknown origin. However, they both had the small chamber heads. C8VE on the '69 and DOVE on the other. Although 1 of the DOVE heads was cracked, thus the 2nd motor found it's way to my garage.

Well I was just trying to install my new polished MPII & #42 injectors.
Having trouble getting the fuel rail to seat with the injectors,to install
the clips.Well I have lost two clips.

So thats it! I am ranking that little ****in gutless motor out.And
going to PRO-STREET-RICH it.

I need a motor with a carb.With no dam computer,no sensors,
Just plainjane 600 horse crate motor from ford SVT.

I am tried of being a contortionist to work on a little biddy motor
that fills the engine bay like it should have a 1000 cid.

I CANT TAKE IT,I am going to join the PRO-STREET RICH S.C. club!

RB

Last edited:
Doesn't do you much good now maybe, but when I do injectors I attach all of them to the fuel rail out of the car and then just spray the orings with a little dish soap and pop them in easy 1-2-3-4-5-6 while attached to the fuel rail. Works for me.

I saw Rich's 460 Bird, It was jammed in there no doubt! It's gotta be a lot heavier than the v-6. I'm thinking about 250lbs heavier.

Nonetheless I believe my stock 89 was faster at the track! ;)

It's not Heavy or my brother ???

Dave that thing is 10 times eazier to work on that the V6 and if you remember it was less than two hours on a hot engine to do that water pump out in the back lot... As for the track time if he drops a svt crate motor in there, I will bet most anything that he will be bolting a cage in the car as well. You forget that engine was something that was laying around out of a smog truck, not a race engine. Also the guy at the track told me to be careful as there was not a cage in the car and I should not go faster than 13.0's Now as for the weight, if you take all the parts that you need for a 3.8 S.C. and hit the scale you will find that it too is heavy... With a set of alum.heads and intake the 460 is lighter...Hard to beleive,but start putting the parts on the scale and you too will be amazed.... Rich P.S. Randy if you need some pic's of any part of this let me know. I will be getting it out of the barn soon and I can snap whatever you need.....Rich

which mustang radiator?(Fox or SN-95), i was going to try a 3 core 88 5.0 one (same for all Fox chassis I think, but going to wait to see if it overheats first).

Will look it up for you

I got it from Summit, so give me a day or so to look up the invoice with the part ###. It is a stocking part, I beleive it was a "Be Cool" brand. and it fit in the hole. You have to make holders for it, but they took about a hour to make and design... Rich

Be cool

I went with the biggest one that would fit into the space that was there. There is nothing worse than building something and finding out that for a few $$ more you could of had a worry free ride. I did that once and won't go down that path again.... It is so much better to sit in traffic and watch your temp just sit at 160 than to watch that white steam start to roll out the back of your cobra "R" hood opening. That is also why I went with the high flow water pump [the one that broke at the nat's] plus it is made of alum. for less weight,,, I will get you that ## for the one I used. Are you going to do this swap as well??? if so fell free to call me and talk thru the things that it takes to do. My # is 414-425-4710 and remember that I am in the central time zone, so don't call too late,,,,,Rich

I was just giving you crap Rich. With 205hp and 385tq vrs 210hp and 310tq the stock BB is pretty well matched to the v6 in stock form. ;)

I weighed the V6 and all accessories one day and it strikes me that it was right around 500lbs. I believe a stock 460 is 690lbs without any accessories. Add to that a heavy C6 and I think 200+ is not unreasonable. Another thing is center of gravity is going to be higher on the big block which is going to have a negative effect on things.

Don't get me wrong, I support putting a big block in there if that is your bag, but it ain't all gravy either. My old Torino with the 429CJ and 4 speed which weighed about the same as an SC ran about the same as my XR7, so I'm not all that impressed. (both are/were stock inside except for the heads on the XR7) For bolt ons the 429 had a Comp Cams 292H, 780 Holley, and dual 2.5" exhaust that dumped in front of the axle. The XR7 has a milder cam (Comp Cams 272) and well, a bunch of stuff. :)

Plus it's pretty hard to impress anyone with a bigblock unless it runs 11's or better.

Oh ya, and I'll race ya on the WP replacement! LOL :D

Back