Air filters

Digitalchaos

I am looking for a paper replacement for a panel air filter. None of my local auto stores have paper cone filters; I'm not certain paper cone filters even exist. I did find large cylindrical round ones from STP, FRAM, ect, with one end capped off. Would these offer a benefit over a panel paper filter in terms of air flow?

It looks like it could, then again it could just have the same surface area wrapped into a cylinder formation. If it turns out better, I will just take off the airbox and use this at the end of the hose in place of a cone. Not sure how I'll keep it there, but there certainly must be a way.

Thanks.

I'm not sure why you would want a paper cone filter. That would just increase the surface area of air struggling to pass through the media.

I dug around and couldn't find anyone making one. They may be out there, but are not going to be easy to find.

Well, essentially most of the cotton-oil filters like k&n have bad reports for filtering capacity. They have good flow, but apparently do not filter as much debris as even a poor quality paper element. They are also pretty expensive.

So I thought perhaps if a large round paper filter has an element with more surface area than a conventional panel, then perhaps that larger surface area allows more air to pass than the smaller surface area of the rectangular panel.

I have, however, heard good things about the Amsoil foam-oil elements. The data is from their website so of course it could easily be biased, but they claim it is from an industry standard testing group like those for oil filters.

If you want to stop more dirt, you need a more restrictive filter. That's almost all there is to it. K&N Filters use oil and cotton. Amsoil uses Oil and Foam. The foam filers are more restrictive, but less so than paper.

Is more restrictive better than less restrictive? I guess it depends on where you have to drive. If you are driving around Kuwait, then I would want Oil and Foam. If I'm driving on dirt roads and around town, K&N is just fine. At least that's how I read it. YMMMV

Ok. I will probably use the amsoil or other foam filter in that case, to obtain performance benefit over paper but more fitlering than k&n. It just doesn't seem like the K&N was really designed with providing ample protection over the course of considerable miles in mind.

Thanks again..

If you can, provide a link to the research you have viewed that shows the K&N is insufficient and filtering the air?

I've yet to see anything yet that has been done by an independant group. K&N has their reports, and those that compete with K&N have their reports.

There is supposedly testing done by the SAE for protection & flow rates on various air filters. However, I have only seen the result of this data at various air filter manufacture's & dealers websites.. such as this one. Specifically, this one claims Amsoil's superiority in medium life & filtering ability to k&n by the SAE J726C test method.

Of course, the accuracy of the data at these dealer sites is to be scrutinized, but I am unable to find the specific data from any official sites, at least for free viewing.

Back