key

wesley89sc

recently i was driving my car and noticed the power brakes weren't working. i found out that my ac and firm ride weren't working either so afer jigling the key in the ignition they began working but after a while it got harder and harder to get the key in the right place to make it work and now i can't get it to work at all anyone know how i can fix this thanks in advance

Check with a dealer to see if it was replaced under the mandatory recall, you might get it replaced for free if it was not already done. Both my SC & Tempo got a new switch replaced for free a few years ago. Good luck

Just call the service dept. on the phone and give them your VIN # and ask if they will replace it under the recall before you do anything else.

When they did mine, the keys were the same, so they swapped the keyways.
Goodluck

ok i have talked to one ford place about recalls on my car i found for seat belts and they said there are none what so ever on my car, but right under the hood there is a sticker saying that the vapor return hose was corrected under recall but they say thier computer doesn't show it and i have no proof of a recall except for all data and they want something from ford. should i call a different ford dealer or is it possible that after a period of time they no longer offer recalls

I would find another dealer. Its been my experience that when they do this, the work is usually not done correctly anyway. Or worse, other things get broken.

Note that the ignition switch is not the thing that your key inserts into. That is the ignition key lock cylinder. The switch itself is operated by a shaft from the lock cylinder. Here are the details of the recall. If your build date was after Sept. 30, 1992, then the recall doesn't apply to your car.

There were many recalls that impacted the 1989, being that it was the first year for the vehicle. Here is a list of the safety recall numbers:

95S28 Recall - Ignition Switch Replacement
92S52 Recall - Safety Front Safety Belt/Retractor Replacement
91S32 Recall - Seat Belt Assembly Replacement
89S64S1 Recall - Rear Suspension Knuckle, Supplement
89S63 Recall - Front Suspension Hardware Modification
89S64 Recall - Rear Suspension Knuckle Replacement
NHTSA89V081000 Recall - Front Strut Nut Replacement
NHTSA89V080000 Recall - Rear Suspension Knuckle Fatigue Cracks
NHTSA88V165000 Recall - Fuel Tank Leaks

Overview of Recall 95S28

November 29, 1995

To: All Ford Dealers
Applies to CA and Federal Vehicles

Attention:
Dealer Principal
Service Manager
Parts Manager

Subject:
Safety Recall 95S28 - Ignition Switch Replacement
^ All 1988-1993 Model Year Thunderbird and Cougar
Build date thru Sept. 30, 1992
In OASIS: Yes

Listings: Yes

Parts Return: No

Recall Time Limitation: None

^ Please read and circulate these instructions to your Service and Parts personnel.

^ Dealership personnel should become familiar with this recall and be able to respond to owner inquiries.

^ Please ensure servicing technicians understand and comply with the technical instructions for this recall.

Affected Vehicles

There are approximately 248,000 vehicles affected by this action.

Reason For Recall

On some of the affected vehicles, a short circuit could develop in the ignition switch that could lead to overheating, smoke, and possibly fire in the steering column area of the vehicle. The condition may occur while the vehicle is in use or unattended.

Service Action

To correct this potential condition, the ignition switch will be replaced with a revised design switch. The wiring in the upper steering column area will also be inspected for the installation of any aftermarket electrical accessories. If an improper installation is noted, you are to advise the customer of the need to have the condition corrected. These correction costs are not part of this recall.

Refunds

Only for owner/dealer-paid ignition switch replacements and made before receipt of the owner letter or after receipt of the owner letter if an emergency replacement was made away from the selling dealer.

NOTE :Refund requests concerned in any manner with fire-related damage are to be forwarded on a goodwill facsimile request form, for review, to the Customer Assistance Centre at 1-800-387-7988. Retain original supporting documentation in your records.

hanks for the help guys but hey do you know if that ignition switch failure would cause a problem such as what i am having

ok i called another dealership and they said my switch was replaced in 96 so what do i have to do to get to the swich to change it and does anyone know pries or anything helpful in fixing this

Wesley,

Yes you need to replace the switch as Mike said. If you can't do it get someone that can. Some of these cars burnt to the ground because of this problem even when no one was around and the car sat for hours.

Now that you know if you don't fix it quick something might happen to your car. I have dubbed this phenomenon “Elmer Fudd Syndrome” or EFS as I refer to it.

Basically it means that because you didn’t know about something previously then it doesn’t effect you, but the minute you aware of it the laws apply to you.

Think back to cartoons and the time that Elmer didn’t know about gravity. Buggs Bunny places a book on gravity next to a tree and as Elmer is reading it he walks off of a cliff, but this time he falls.

Jeff

Wow !!!! I get it now !!!!!!!!!!!!!11:D
( Jeff reads a book about Dodge vans catching on fire as he crosses the street )
Then Marvin the martian drives saturn into a tree.........

Not tryin' to jack this post

Another Jeff

The switch was 12 bucks a few months ago, and you will need a tamper proof allen key to ge the old one off.

I got the set from autozone in a blue box along woth lots of other bits...

Ford said mine wasn't elligible for recall, and couldn't say if it had already been done. It's a 90, and I'm pretty sure that it should've been a recall...

Only takes 15 minutes.

Back