bad clutch??

Ronald Wendt

I have really just started driving my 91 recently so lots of things are still new to me and I am not always sure whats normal or not

Today I was lucky enough to get stuck in traffic for 1/2 hour or so on the highway for the first time in this car. After a while of in and out of first gear, it got really hard to disengage the clutch smoothly. It would lurch and chug badly unless I really revved the engine and slipped it allot. The first inch or two off the floor goes smoothly but its that last bit I could not get smooth. I did find I could get going smoothly starting from second gear so that made things bearable.

I think I have noticed before that when I first get in the car things are smooth but after awhile it gets harder and harder to take off from first.

What gives?

I think the clutch disc and pressure plate have 5-10,000 miles on them. I rebuilt the transmission and shifter and replaced the slave cylinder. I don't know if the flywheel was resurfaced or not.

Could the pressure plate be fatiguing with use already? Or?

Any advice will be most appreciated

Ron

Are you loosing any oil? Maybe a crankshaft output seal is leaking causing the clutch surface to slip more than it should over time?

Not sure what else.

I have a similar problem. Essentially after the car, clutch system, ect have thoroughly warmed up ( maybe 20mins +), the clutch will start to 'chatter' when I attempt to release the pedal, especially if I do it slowly. So far I find the best way to get around this is to simply let the clutch out as fast as possible @ as low an rpm as possible w/o killing it, and then it will be almost eliminated. This doesn't go far for a quick takeoff, however. If the flywheel was new, I would guess maybe the surface was not machined, based on what I've heard. But I have 87,000.. and am almost sure the clutch is original. No other problems. Maybe the system isn't producing enough pressure? The fact that this does not happen when cold is a clue..

I did do a search on clutch problems, and there was a couple of people who had the same problem with LUK clutches. I don't know what brand is in there, but I bet they just bought the factory replacement which would be a LUK.

I can do the let it out quick move, but not in bumper to bumper traffic! Luckily I changed to a 3:27 rear and It seems to be able to move from a stop in 2nd pretty easily. Sure is lots less dramatic.

I just don't want to replace the clutch right now, not that any time would really be any better. I can live with this for awhile

It may not need replacement. It could just be the surface of the fly wheel. It may even go away after a while, because your clutch is relatively new.

I wonder if anyone has more to add about this problem, as I am still having it..

have a similar problem. Essentially after the car, clutch system, ect have thoroughly warmed up ( maybe 20mins +), the clutch will start to 'chatter' when I attempt to release the pedal, especially if I do it slowly. So far I find the best way to get around this is to simply let the clutch out as fast as possible @ as low an rpm as possible w/o killing it, and then it will be almost eliminated. This doesn't go far for a quick takeoff, however. If the flywheel was new, I would guess maybe the surface was not machined, based on what I've heard. But I have 87,000.. and am almost sure the clutch is original. No other problems.

Additionally, it gets worse as it warms up.

Thanks..

I had this problem with my Luk replacement clutch I first put in 2 years ago. It had it all it's pathetic short life and I will NEVER put a Luk in my car ever again. I wore this thing out completely in 70,000kms, of that I bet it spent 55,000kms chattering out of 1st gear as soon as it got warmed up.

This time it was Centre Force II Dual Friction and it grips well no matter how hot it gets.

Clutch

I had the same problem as Les did. In fact, we chatted in a thread about this chattering about 2 years ago. I have a 89 and 90 both 5speeds, and they both have LUK in them. You know what, they both SUCK! After about 20 minutes of driving, they do chatter and grab like ****. In the 89, the slave cyl., clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and hydralic line, where all BRAND NEW. Still like crap after about 100 or so miles of break in. I also noticed that after each time of driving, the clutch grabbed higher and higher. Ever so slightly. I am going to try Centerforce this time. I tried McLoed (spelling?) in the 89 first, gone in like 30K. Any other clutch suggestions?

Joe

Its a strange problem. Thing is, it sounds like a hydralic problem due to the fact that this doesn't occur until its warm! Though I suppose it could be the friction surface heating up. To my knowledge, my clutch is still stock.. the previous owner reported no known upgrades...

Back