Dynomax or Flowmaster Cat-back..need help!!!

phils89sc

I have read the old posts about the Dynomax and the Flowmaster systems. I hear alot about how they sound, but not much about how much HP can be gained?

As it stands, I know that to expect alot of gain from either system is asking alot. I also want to tell what I have in mind for my exhaust.

Here is what I would like:

94-97 3.8L Tube headers from Stang, modified to fit.

2.25" downtubes to 2.25" High Flow cats

From the cats, delete the resonator (I know, I know, rice right?) and add a 2.25" balance tube between pipes (kinda like H-pipe).

From the balance tube to the Dynomax Cat-back exhaust (2.5"-dual 2.25" tail pipes).

So there it is, what do you think? I really don't plan on modding my engine much, I don't have the $$ to really go overboard. I pretty much want to free up some flow to get a little extra HP and try to avoid the dreaded head gasket failure as well (not to mention get a little more loudness from the exhaust, I am used to that from previous...cars I have owned-Stangs, Tbirds, etc..)

I looked at the Flowmaster pics and the Dynomax pics on the Summit Racing Site. It would seem that the Dynomax would have better flow because of its design (straight intlet versus side inlet for the Flowmaster's)

It would seem obvious that the exhaust entering the Flowmaster would have to make a 90 degree turn to exit the muffler, while the Dynomax uses a straight in, straight out design. Does this really make much difference in overall flow?

Thanks

Any opinions and advice are welcome.

Phil

P.S.

I have an 89SC, yes, but I also have a fuel tank from a 92 Cougar that I am going to put in prior to my exhaust install.

Thanks again.

Phil..I had this exhaust on my car and it was quiet and didnt sound ricey at all.....and best of all...cheap...Also passed smog.

2 1/4 y pipe into 1 2 1/2 inch high flow cat into a dynomax cat back..quiet with a slight rumble..

What I would do if I was you...2 1/4 y pipe into single 3 inch cat..3 inch to back with two 2 1/2 inch dyno max...Still quiet..And would be cheap...Forget about the equalizer tube idea for now

Hell we will have a million ideas for you..If you stick with a Borla xs (expensive) or a Dynomax (cheap) teh car wont get too loud on ya so long as you have a cat

If you aren't modifying your engine too much, either system should be more than adequate. I am running a stage I engine setup by Dr. Fred and am still using my flowmaster cat back exahust. Plus I like the agressive sound. Its very quiet until you get on it. Heres a sound clip:

Flowmasters on my 1992 SC

Jeramie

That's a much better sound bite than my attempt. I like my Flowmaster setup too. No drone, doesn't drown out the cell phone or stereo, sound aggressive when you want it. For a V6. It's a bit deeper at idle in person, but that gives a pretty close representation. What did you record that with? You should put that in the thread:

Exhaust sound files

Back