?'s about EEC Tuners or Chips on 95 SC

Robert Kohlman

I have a 1995 5-speed SC. I recently did exhaust work, SCP CAI, C&L 73mm MAF, BBK 70mm TB, 5% pulley and a 180' Thermostat for modifications. Those modifications are the extent of what I am going to do. I get 15 lbs. of boost at 2,500 rpms and I'm sure I'm hitting around 17 lbs. at 5,000. The car has had a complete tune-up including new Motorcraft plugs gapped to .050

I put the 5% pulley on last and I started to get some detonation. However, when the car is cold it runs great and pulls to 5,000 rpms real hard with no detonation. As the car warms up it seems to run fine but gets some detonation and doesn't pull as hard.

I know that when the car is cold the timing is way advanced and the fuel is set to run rich. Do I need to consider a tuner or a chip and will one solve the detonation problem? The EEC seems to have tuned some of the detonation out but it rears its ugly head enough for me to want to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

I wouldn't figure you would get over 15lbs of boost even with the 5% pulley after the exhaust. Did you get rid of the cats? Maybe they are plugged up.
I would get a tuner with that many mods, especially with the 180 deg. stat to make your fan come on and let the engine know that the new operating temp. is now 180 deg. It will never get there if you don't reprogram it. Tuners are great even without any mods, so get one!

I am running .045 gap on the Motorcraft AWSF34PP with my 10% and have no problems. I didn't even try the stock .054 gap as a friend with a 95 and 10% had the spark blowing out until he regapped to .039. I'm not sure if he tried anything inbetween since they are so hard to change. Try a smaller gap and see what happens.

Jerry

The car hit 15 lbs. of boost at 5,000 rpms when it was stock. I too suspected that maybe the cats were clogged. When we did the exhaust we checked for rattles and the flow was good.

The car was a Ford Factory Owned Car for the first two years of its life and appears to have been built pretty well.

I am running nearly the same set-up on my 90 Auto SC with the exception of a 10% pulley and I have no problems at all. I get 15 lbs. of boost at 5,000 rpms on it. It runs good all of the time with no detonation. The supercharger on the 95 is so much more efficient than the 89-93 model. Having one of each model really shows the difference in the early and late model of the SC.

I agree with the 180' thermostat and the fan. Who makes tuners and chips and what do they cost? I have heard of APTEN for chips for the SC. How hard is it to use a tuner?

Thanks,

Bob

to fix the problem you really need a better intercooler. Once your stock I/C gets heat soaked, the intake temperature rises and causes your detonation problems. I've seen it on the dyno many times.

I could take away timing with a chip to fix your detonation, but less timing = less power. To solve the problem, you may want to try an I/C fan and see if that helps you out. From the factory your car is already programmed to run around 11.7:1 at WOT, and there's no need to run any richer than that.

You may also want to take your car to a wideband dyno. Over the last weekend I had two SC's that were running a 14:1 a/f at WOT. That can happen if you have a fuel delivery problem, or if your new air meter doesn't agree with the computer 100%.

Also, the car only runs in cold start for a very brieft period of time. By the time you back out of the driveway, and cruise out of the subdivision, it is already in closed loop.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replys.

I think that I will get an IC fan and see if that helps any. The heat soak makes sense to me also. I'm sure that coupled with the increased intake temps because of the higher boost # doesn't help either. I felt that it was right on the edge before the 5% pulley.

You are right. It runs great until I get it out on the hwy. I can tell when it starts pulling timing and making less power.

I had similar issues with my supercharged Mustang. If I spend the kind of money on the SC that I did my Mustang my wife will kill me. I had to put in fuel injectors and a computer from a Cobra R along with a T-rex 255 lph fuel pump to get it to deliver enough fuel. One thing that I like about the Mustang is that I can adjust the initial timing advance on my own at the distributor to set it right at the limit of detonation.

I am sure that I am approaching the limits of the stock fuel system that is why I am going to stop where I am.

Thanks,

Bob

Back