holy cr@*

motocross_masta

I have got to be losing my mind!When i bought the car it came w/ a tub of old parts and thermostats and the big@$$ book on the car. It also came w/ a bigger intake... or so he said. I just installed it on my car and like the results so when i told my friend, now he wants to know wut its called so he can go out and buy one and i'm having a complete mind blank! Its in the bottom left corner right after the air box. Its an alumminum piece which then leads to the main tube (plastic in my car, seen it in chrome on others, aftermarket) and that which leads to the supercharger. The alluminum piece after the air box is the?? I feeel like a retart forgetting this! hahaha
Thanks
-CJ

could the MAF be what you're thinking of? that's the only thing i know of between the air box and the factory tube.

hmmmm... makes sense. Ummm... i think i upgraded it from a 50mm to a 75 mm. So that new piece would b a 75mm MAF on my mods list?

Were you looking to mod your intake?

Were you looking to increase HP somehow with intake mods?

I have some small pointers...

- Mike

Just from an old fart's view...

This part was originally in the end of the post, but it was brought to my attention that even though I knew in my head that it is better to do this first, it didnt come off that way in the way it was written...

The FIRST thing to gain power off these cars is to get a better exhaust. Ford corked it real good and one of the best bang for the buck mods is A BETTER EXHAUST SYSTEM. Plus it makes you sound intimidating.

Mods for intake are all over the place, but it seemed by the post that y'all were new to this, so I thought my babbling *** would chime in.

Cold air kits will give you the best gain for the dollar. More so in the realm of sound, but I have noticed some HP gain mostly from the cooler air below the car.

Mac makes a nice looking one and MN12 Performance makes a nice kit if you dont want to spend a lot of money and want something to be mounted below the car.

Ultimately, you will want to open up the intake plenum a bit so you can strap on a 70-75mm throttle body and then accompany it with a matching tube of some kind and a matching to better yet, bigger MAF from C&L. Combined with a cold air kit, this will get you good reaction as well.

If you have the dollars, by all means visit www.magnumpowers.com and go nuts, you can strap on 60hp EASY with a nice torque gain.

If you have limited funds, start with cold air, but dont get trapped with a small size if you want to go bigger intake tube and TB later to support other mods. Plan ahead so you dont end up taking it in the azz with parts laying around.

If you have the means and a 89-93, then get some kind of cold air kit, bigger TB, bore out the plenum to match the TB, get a raised blower top, overdrive pulley, at least 36lb injectors and a 190lph fuel pump...The C&L MAF will calibrate the EEC to allow for the bigger injectors, but the EEC Tuner from MN12 performance will be the best investment for all future mods you can dream of.

My first mod was the pulley, top and original supercoupeperformance.com cold air kit. I noticed nice results.

I have done it all, bought it all and tried it all (well most of the aftermarket ****) and I dont know enough stats to throw a bunch of jargon around, but I do know how it made the car feel, respond and perform well in my opinion.

Last edited:
Mike ! I think you might have blown moto's cerebral cortex w/ that last response !!! However i totally agree with everything you said except for the order in which you said it !!! Motocross Masta should put EXHAUST to the forefront !!!!!! If he gets too much down the road of bolt-ons w/out opening up that exhaust you are gonna be telling him how to rebuild his engine.
Other than the order ..." Is a good list mon' " :p

Good point....

I originally said it toward the end, but I had meant by the "if you have not done this already" to do the exhaust as soon as possible...I just think I was thinking about it and my brain didnt transfer it to the page...

Thanks

I GOT THE EXHAUST!! The cold air kit sounds good, but like most of u know the cars not mine for another 8 mos or so and i'll only b sixteen sooooo... i don't wanna have to refill every block if u kno wut i mean. Neways, thaks for the pointers and mike... i'm gonna add u to my buddy list so when i am ready to bore out that beast i can give u a shout... thanks!
BTW... it was 75mm, i didn't measure it but thats wut the guy said... now i'm curious.. might go take it apart just to measure it! hahaha
CJ

what is the exhaust setup ?? How does it sound ?? With that intake work you must be enjoying that good old blower whine...
have fun

I have a spare 93 stock plenum...

I have a leftover plenum that matches the early model blower.

You can bore that one out and save the original just in case.

'course, boring out the plenum is merely taking a dremel to it and opeining it up and smoothing it out a little.

If you are paranoid, take it to a machine shop. They will do it for u while u wait.

Oh, and Fill Up every corner...HAHAHAHA

If you are into boost all the time on a 89-93 with mods, the gas mileage will suffer, but not that bad. On my 94, I fly everywhere and still get good gas mileage and I have 36lb injectors. These cars were always good on gas in my experience. Just keep them tuned right and use good fuel.

- Mike

Just a word of caution.

I recommend new head gaskets and ARP studs. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to plastigauge the crank bearings. If you do all these mod's, your gonna be putting a LOT more pressure on these parts.

Lee

BTW: This advice comes from personal experience. :rolleyes:

Back