Car Won't Even Crank Over

shmeeman

Got another problem with my new to me super coupe.i changed the brown pump relay yesterday and now my starter won't even turn over. Is there any thing thats by that relay that i could have hit or could have came loose.the car ran fine before but i moved into the shop to work on it and well the hot rod still sits there.
when i turn the and hit the brake theres nothing checked ignition on the steering wheel that seem fine the light on the dash don't dim out either.The battery is brand new also dont what to check next.

thanks for the help

What do you mean by "the brown pump relay?" Where is it located on the car and what does it look like?

-Rod

The Brown pump relay is located on the passenger side fire wall and its for the brake system so that has nothing to do with the starter not turning over.

the car did sit for about a year and a freind may think its a small wire thats hooked to the starter but really sure haven't had time to check because it just hapened yesterday

I would guess corrosion and connections would be the problem. Clean the battery terminals and the connections going to the starter. Bet that'll fix it.

the starter worked great before the relay change thats why i don't understand why it will not start the hot rod ran fine before that stinkin relay.

I don't know for sure if this is true, but I have heard that on some of the (early) SC models, it was necessary to apply the brakes in order to crank the car. If that is true, it may be that the "bad" relay created a condition that made the brakes appear to be applied. The new relay may have corrected that condition but uncovered a problem with the switch on the brake pedal. (Just thinking out loud........)

I didn't even think of that. I think it was just 90 models that have to have the brake pedal pushed in before they will crank.

-Rod

yes that is true i looked at a 91 and told the guy the battery must be dead because it won't turn over. i think it was a 91?
joe

were is savanna?

Last edited:
First, make sure the battery has a full charge. It could have been discharged by a tool, or crossed wire when you did the relay change.

There is a big black power relay mounted on the passenger side of the engine compartment. A large cable goes down to the starter. Does that relay click when you try to start the car?

If not, try and remove the wire from the relay and jumper it to the battery and see if the starter turns over. If not, the problem is at the starter. If it does, the problem is with that relay, or the ignition circuit. Possibly a grounding problem.

I can tell you for sure that on a '90 AOD car you do have to apply the brakes to start, mine is a 90. one of the posts above suggested that maybe the bad ABS relay was somehow bypassing this, which is a possibility i guess..... But also there has to be a switch of some type (possibly it's part of the stoplight switch? ) that makes it impossible to start without applying the brakes.....maybe this switch is bad making it impossible to start anytime?? .. ALSO if anyone knows how to disable this 'feature' without dismantling the whole car i'd be interested in knowing......

Back