funny idle?

layinthesmack31

ok guys here is my question of the week haha. When i start up my SC it will idle just fine but once i go down the road a little bit and stop it idles a little jumpy between 400 and 500 rpm's. it wont stall though. then when i take off it drives away fine. sometimes when i am sitting at the stop lights it will be idling funny and then it just starts to idle perfect. it seems to always correct the problem after like a minute or so but i just was wondering what might cause this? any suggestions? i mean like i said it dont stall but it is kinda weird to me because it just idles so low and bounces up and down between 400 and 500 rpms. Keep in mind that i have had my cam sensor replaced last yr. it just started doing this since i took it out of storage. Please and help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Matt

I thought the spec. for idle was like 750 RPM. Maybe you want to set the idle up a tad and see if the problem goes away.

There is a bleed screw on the throttle body, sort of above where the IAC connects. There may be a rubber plug over the screw. (Not the throttle stop screw, you shouldn't need to adjust that.)

The procedure I've done is to start the car, disconnect the IAC, and adjust the bleed screw until the car will idle OK without the IAC. Then plug the IAC back in and you're good to go. I think this procedure was on a little slip of paper in the box with my BBK throttle body, I've not seen anything in the Ford manuals about adjusting the bleed screw.

hey guys,
what part of the throttle body is the IAC? cause i dont know what the ilde problem is with my SC cause it only does it once in a while and it only seems to do it just after i start the car. Would faulty plug wires make it idle jumpy like it does when it is at a stop? well thanks any help is greatly appreciated.
Matt

Ford doesn't say anything about manually adjusting throttle because you are not supposed to. This is done by the EEC and adjusting it would be confusing the computer and possibly giving you an even rougher idle. Find the source of the problem instead of rigging it just to get by. Idle in gear should be 750 cold and about 650 warm. Yeah, mine has a low idle too, 450-500 when warm.

but where do i even start to look then? the car runs great and has no power loss but it sounds like it is gonna stall when i am at a light sometimes? cold it be water in my fuel system since i just removed it from storage? i am just confused as to what would make it idle like that. It never stalls though but sometimes it scares me and i think it will haha. thanks
Matt

Check your EGR valve and relating parts. Thats what made my idle rough at stops. The Idle would be about 750 to 800 and drop down to like 450 and almost stall. Then jump back up.

89 sc

Back