97 LX Sport

smokymance

i found a 97 LX Sport....all the goodies...4.6l v8, black on tan leather, 5dsk changer,all exept moonroof....85tho miles....for $5900 ...is this a good offer? i might get a deal tomoro...what is the max i should pay...i really like the car...hope it rides good

That seems pretty reasonable. Last Septemeber I bought a 1997 Sport for $6500. It was totally loaded; sunroof, leather, auto lights, premium sound w/cd, V8. It had 82K miles, and in pretty decent condition. Check the book on it. $5900 is real reasonable. Wouldn't hurt to offer $5500 though. Here is mine:

97Sport1.jpg

97Sport2.jpg

Thomas

thomas,
i was jjust wondering since u have same car....i noticed that the wheel on that thing was kinda stiff...and after u turn usually the wheel turns back...on this one it wouldnt do it...u had to help it back to straight...my 93 LX steering is much much lighter than that one...is this bad or good? the power steering pump worked fine. plus the trans was in good condition, but it was kinda of a luxury car kinda shifter..u know, slow to try to make the shifts smooth, but u can feel it shifting. i was just wondering if these are bad or good symptoms on the 97's, or i just need to get familiar with the new kinds of birds, other wize the car was really nice.

That is the first thing I noticed when I drove mine. The steering felt stiff and heavy almost. My mom's '93 LX is effortless, much as you described. I don't think this is a real problem. The steering wheel should return to center on it's own after you make a turn. That could very well be a problem. I've seen it before. The shifting is sluggish at best on mine. A simple J-mod will change that very soon though :) You might ask about the steering issues over on www.tccoa.com and see if any owners over there have the similiar feeling of it. Make sure to drive it long enough to get the tranny up to temp to see if you can feel any TC shudder on the 1-2 shift. That is also a common problem. Good Luck.

Thomas

getting the car today hopefully....got it at $5350 which im a little happy about....ill post some pics as soon as it gets home....now where can i join some forums for the 96-97 yr cars...or can i just questions here...u guys seem to know all about the birds, so im guessing its ok.

Yeah...

www.tccoa.com would be the best spot for the 4.6L bird. Also I can verify the stiffness of the steering wheel. My friend has a red 97 sport like the one above, and its much stiffer than my SC. So I would beleive that it is normal.

i would guess the non returning wheel is due to the lower control arm ball joints

about a year and a half ago my sc was doing this, and then the lower right control arm ball joint snapped

when i got the car back after replacing both lower ball joints and the lower right tie rod, it returned to center, so i would guess its either one of those.

nice ride, the steering on mine is just as it is, i cant say if its stiffer than the older ones because i havent driven one in a long time.

tccoa.com
mtcforum.com
corral.net
stangnet.com
mn12performance.com
tbu
thunderbirds.org

just some of the sites im on that have info on the 4.6L motor its the same as the mustang so most stang performance parts can be adapted to the bird.

Back