Brake Fluid leak from??

rab4jc

My brakes work FINE - but, upon noticing the IDIOT LITES coming on (Red FIRST and then ORANGE, I checked FLUID LEVEL and it was LOW, I filled it, the LITES went out - and EVERYTHING WORKED GREAT FOR ABOUT A WEEK - then same thing ... lights on, check fluid, refill fluid, lights out - I COULD NOT FIND ANY LEAKAGE - THEN, I finally found fluid under the FLUID RESERVOIR on the pavement directly under, IS THIS THE ACCUMULATOR or what?? Does anyone know how to check out WHICH PART would be faulty?? Thanks - for any suggestions!

Generally, if the ABS and Brake warning indicators flash on, then off in sequence it indicates a bad accumulator. That is because the accumulator is no longer able to sustain proper system operating pressure. In this case, it sounds like the system is losing pressure due to a leak. It may be leaking from the connection between the reservoir and the pump, or the pressure sensor/switch. See if you can locate the source of the leak and that will help in isolating the problem. If the system has never had the accumulator replaced, it may be a good idea to take care of that regardless of whether it is the cause of this problem. Accumulators only last for around 10-yrs in most cases. It is a fairly simple and inexpensive repair (if you get the accumulator from Prior Remanufacturing).
Let me know if I can be of further assistance.......

thanks LC !!!

Where is this place located and how much is the accumulator??
I am in Houston and cannot find a good source for parts here.

brake fluid leak

i had the same problem on my 90 sc. i found i was leaking brake fluid from what looked to be the master cylinder it turned out to be an o-ring gasket at the base of the reservior let go and started leaking. there are if i remember right 2 rubber gaskets on the bottom of the reservior i would check them and so if that is your problem.

Prior Remanufacturing Info

1989 to 1992 Thunderbird SC ABS system
"Teves Mark II"

Prior Remanufacturing, Inc.
P.O. Box 462167
315 International Road
Garland, TX 75046

Phone : (972)494-4254
Fax: (972)276-2729
Toll Free: (800)444-4821

www.priorreman.com

(ask about club discounts)