Oil Pressure reading low after winter storage???

derekhay316

I just started up my 89 sc after it has bin in storage for the winter and the check gauge light is on and the oil pressure reads low. When i turn on the car the oil pressure gauge jitters between low and 1/4 to the right. What could this mean? There's no coolant in my oil and it seems to be running normal? Maybe moisture is screwing up the gauge lines or something? Thanks.

Had this problem too. It's most likely the oil pressure sending unitl going out. My understanding is that the oil pressure gauge is kind of a BS gauge. It's either "on" or "off", rather than showing any measure of pressure, or in cases like this, a bad connection when it's in between or bouncing around.

JAFO,

Correct...basically an idiot guage only. The sender is nothing but a switch...closed about 7 PSI and open below ~5 PSI.

Check the electrical termination to the sender and make sure you have a good electrical connection. If you eliminate this as a cause (meaning you checked the connection and you still have the problem) replace the oil pressure sender. It is located inboard and behind the alternator and can be seen from the front of the engine through an opening in the bracket which holds the alternator. There is but a single push on electrical connector attached to it. It screws into a short pipe looking device which is then screwed into the block. You only need to remove the sender from the "pipe".

Back