Couple Questions about Shift kits.

91BLOWNSC

Alright, I did some seaching on this, but didn't come across the answers to my questions so I thought I would run it by you guys. I think I am going to have my trans rebuilt, and I am having a trans go shift kit installed. I was wondering before I bought it, how people determine the settings on it. Like, stage 1, 2, or 3. Do you buy it in a certain stage? Or is it how you drill the holes? And is there just ONE specific shift kit offered for the 89-93 AOD. Theres not like a "professional" one, an "amateur" one or anything of that sort, is there? I want to be sure I get the correct one.
And my third question is, how hard is the hardest setting? I want something to at least chirp second. And I won't mind a hard shift, except when I am just driving around town normally. I dont' want to be jolted horribly. What is recommended?

thanks a bunch.

Oh and if anyone has a place that sells them cheap either online, or by catelog, can you let me know also. Thanks again.

well..

Thanks for the info, but I really can't afford that, so its not really an option. I think the Trans Go will suit my needs just fine. Thanks though!

I just got done doing this. There is a pro kit. Dose not come with the video but it dose seem to come with more goodies like a high rev govenor. The shift are hard but I like getting 3rd to chirp but under 1/2 thottle its not bad. The shifts are smooth but positive.I just got done with a complete rebuild on my AOD. It was fun but rewarding. Not many options in the pro kit but we went with as firm of shifts we could get. Before the kit 2nd would slide in with no chirp. Now she bangs 2nd and lights em up.

Do these kits protect the tranny at all or is it the opposite, more bang and probably more bucks ,but fun while it lasts ???

One caution on the trans-go.

A couple of the guys out here went that route and then couldn't do a proper dyno run. Seems they couldn't hold 3 long enough - it'd shift into OD. :(

Nobody seems to know why, and one got the Lentech body because of that and other considerations.

Last edited:
I'm one of those people Lee mentioned who had problems with the transmission holding 3rd on the track or dyno after installing the trans-go kit. I switched to a Lentech valvebody and couldn't be happier.

If you do end up going with the trans-go, set it to medium or level 2. That will be enough to spin second and chirp third. Skip the high rev kit...most SCs must be shifted well before 6,000 rpms.

If I were you I would save up for the Lentech VB and do it right the first time.

David

Alright...

Ok, I don't understand what the "high-rev" kit is. Everytime I look up the Shift kit for my car, the only option I pull up on these sites are the "AOD TransGO shift kit for AOD 89-93". I don't see any other options for my car. When I get this kit, does this kit make it available to set it on a level 1, 2, or 3? It just all depends on the drilling and springs? Not sure if I am understanding this right.

shift kit

Based on experience with the Baumann shift kit (I expect the Transgo to be similar), the user can choose the 'level of performance' by drilling different holes or using different components (springs) included in the kit. You may also remove check balls as required (instructions in kit) to achieve the desired firmness of shifting.

So, in the Baumann kit, you buy one kit, and tailor the firmness to your liking by following the appropriate instructions that come with it. I'd guess that Transgo does it the same way.

-Al

Yes like Al said, the Trans-Go kit can be set to three different levels determined largely by the size of hole drilled.

The high rev kit that came with my trans-go kit was some hoaky looking counter weight thing (like in old time engine gov) that attachs to something inside the transmission. I didn't use it.

David

Last edited:
What's the expected cost for parts on an AOD rebuild. I don't need to go crazy on the tranny - the car is an 89 with underdrives/bhj and a K&N panel, no silencer. No real plans for more than a new exhaust, MAF and maybe a raised top.

The tranny is currently acting up when cold. When coasting down in speed the tranny sometimes fail to finish the downshift. You have to hit the gas and it finishes the shift. When warm the tranny acts fine.

I would like to rebuilt it myself but would like recomendations on getting a good performance for a decent price. I am definately looking at the lentech VB.

Aaron

HEY JSC

i dont think the kit will actually "protect the tranny", but a faster, more positive shift will prolong band live by not letting it slip slushily(a real word??) between gears. any slipping of the bands leads to heat and eventual failure. the local tranny shop wouldn't warranty work on my parents 94 tarus because the stock bands were too soft. They put in tighter bands (subsequently causing my mom to hate it). My shifts feel fine stock, but i wish DRIVE would full throttle upshift.... ;-)

David Neibert said:
If you do end up going with the trans-go, set it to medium or level 2. That will be enough to spin second and chirp third.
David

Why not go with the firmest possible?

Because it will shift very hard all the time, upshifts and downshifts. It may sound fun but IMO it would get old real quick.

With the medium settings you will get shifts that are hard enough to get rubber, without being annoying or uncomfortable.

David

Dave....

Ok heres my next question guys. I looked online and in my Jeg's catalog and many others that I have and it showed the Trans Go to be about 100 dollars. It was for a trans go shift kit. So I go and call my local transmission shop to see if they could get it. And sure enough, they can. Well They can get 3 different brands. The lowest being the trans go, the second being a "superior HP" and the third being the most expesive but I can't think of the name now dang it (it seemed like it was named after a persons name). Anyways, i asked him the difference between them all and he said the transgo was basically just a shift improver. They had the trans go for like 40 bucks. So my questions are: Does transgo acutally just make a SHIFT IMPROVER kit thats cheaper than their shift kit, or did i just find a really good deal on the 100 dollar shift kit? And second, have any of you ever heard of the supieror HP model? I don't wanna order the Trans Go from this guy and not have it be like the 100 dollar model from the magazines. What do you all think?

To my knoweledge, there is only one kit made by Trans-Go, their part number for 89-93 SCs is "AOD" and there part number for 94-95 SCs is "AODE".

Some of the kits include extras like a video showing how to install, or the high rev kit. It sounds like your transmission shop has found that there are several brands of shift kits made for your transmission.

B&M, Art Carr and a couple other companies make shift kits. When I had the shop who built my transmission install the trans-go kit several years ago, the guy that did the install said that trans-go made one of the better kits out there. He specificially warned against a B&M kit, but I know others here have had good results from B&M so who knows.

Of the choices you listed I would go with the trans-go shift improver. If you can get it for under $50 your getting a great price. I bought mine from SCP for over $100.

David

Is the Trans-go kit in any way detrimental to our cars ? Or is the stress level on the transmission reduced ?? Is it the same as not having a kit at all ?? Any body have an opinion ?
Thanks

Jeff

In general terms, most transmission shops would agree that adding a cooler and a shift kit will extend the transmissions life.

However driving it harder so you can bark the tires on every shift will shorten it's life more than if you hadn't done any mods.

David

Back