valve springs

hepcat

Well getting a valve job and I figured that I would change my valve springs. Don't need reall stiff ones but I will be putting in a cam with a little less than .500 lift. Or should I get get some stock replacements?

Thanks

Raymond

springs

stocks are 220 psi ...I read somewhere ..that there is about 75 pounds of pressure on a intake spring on full boost ...this is something ..not many think about ...in the non supercharged world ...since they running under vacume condition ..and no positive pressure is place on the valve.. so they can run a lighter spring rate ... and get away with it...if they are not going for high rpm ...so yes stock spring rate min... 220psi for us would be my advice

.500 lift is pretty close to bind with stock springs.

Stiegemeier came across some single springs that were reasonably cheap (couple hundred) that fit the stock spring cups, and work well. I can always ask about those for you.

Brian

springs

I've got competition cams 942 springs on mine. I've got a .520 lift cam. Those were the springs recommended for that cam and stock retainers.

Thanks guys I appriciate the help.

Gets you thinking about the future on what mods you will do.

Well If I went with freds .520 and competition cams 942 springs I wouldn't have to grind down under the retainers? If not that would be cool If so then I need to get to the machine shop and have them do it before they get done and I have to wait another week for them to get done.

Thanks all

Back