Need to order new rims...what backspacing for 285s

Mike Manzo

Currently I have the original, back in the day, versions of the Cobra Rs offerd by SCP and with 245s on the front and 275s on the rear. The 245s rub constantly and need spacers, but every once in a while the 275s in the rear rub when i go over big bumps...

I am about to order new ROH Snypers with 17x8 front and 17x9 rear and was wondering if if it possible to order a specific backspacing, what should I order?

I am hoping to run 285 in the rear, but sticking with 275s is not a big deal

- Mike

how do you measure that? i have 285/40zr17's on the back and 255/45zr17's on the front, they never rub. if i knew how to measure them i could tell you. i bought my rims from someone for 200 bucks and he didn't know what they were on. they are niche bahn. 17x9 all around with eagle gsc runflats, they are off the car now so it would be nothing to measure for ya.
joe

Last edited:
I dont know how one does measure for that...

I would believe that it has something to do with how far set back the actual center of the wheel is.

Am I correct in assuming that you have a 35th Ann SC which gives it the older front spindles. 93+ the spindles are different and I think thats where the problem lies.

If nothing else there is someone that it having some 3/16 spacers machined because he has a 97LX with the same issues and I think the same rims too.

The gorrila spacers they have out there are just too thick. They rub only to make noise, really. There is no sidewall abrasions or anything really horrible at all...Just annoying and I think it makes the steering a little goofy sometimes.

Thanks for the help!

no problem, sorry i couldn't be more help. i'm sure you'll work it out. yes i do have the older spindles.
joe

Last edited:
Mike, I don't think that you'll get custom back-spacing on ROH wheels, unless you have a local machine shop that can help you out. If you can get it, I'd suggest around +30 for the 8" wheels on the front, and +35 for the 9" rear wheels.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Hey thanks for that...

I dont think that Jason Marsh had any issues, but I dont remember what size tire he was running.

I love the look of the Snypers and I wish I could get them in 18s to help clear up my speedo issue (5mph faster)

The +30 you mentioned...What measurement would that be in? Millimeters? Pardon the dumbass of the year award winner, but if I can get the most optimal backspacing, that would be great...

The deal is this:

ROH Snypers @ 17x8 front and 17x9 rear
BfGoodrich gForce KDW 245/45/17 front / 285/40/17 rear
Mounting, balancing, full warranty and installation: $1400

That was cheaper than my Pirelli P7000, better ratings and NO TAX!!!!

I just wanna make sure when they get on the car Im not pulling out sounding like a fat man wearing courderoy pants..

vffft vffft vffft vffft...

THANKS!!

Yes, +30 would be a measurement in millimetres, which is normally what is used for wheel offset numbers these days ...

A suggestion for your package ... either go 245-45-17 with 275-40-17 rear, or 255-45-17 and 285-40-17, if you want to keep the rolling diameter the same front and rear. Otherwise, the 285-40-17 will be about 1/2" taller than the 245-45-17.

cheers
Ed N.

Back