speaker problems please help

94-5speed16

well i installed some 5x7's that i bought off a fellow sc'r on here and everything is not working out. The back two speakers are fine they sound great, they are jl audios. When i replaced the rearsi found out that someone already put some alpine 5x7's in there but i still swapped them out and kept the alpines. The front two were the junked stockers that i replaced with 2 cerwin vegas. The first time i put them in the front two cerwins would stop playing after a little bit. Today i took the doors apart again and switched the wires around because i was pretty sure that's what the problem was. I couldn't tell when i first replaced the stock speakers which wire was positive and which was negative so i probably put the wrong wires on the wrong terminals. When i still had the doors apart and the speakers in they sounded great, but after i got everything in there they started cutting out again. Does anyone know what this could be? I just can't figure it out. Are the speakers junk or is there something else to it? If you have any info please let me know

thanks
dan

Did you have similar problems with the stock speakers? If so then I would suspect a break in the door boot. If not, then I suggest that either perhaps the connections you made at the speaker are not tight, or the speakers could have problems. Are they used or new?

this could also be a problem with the head unit or amplifier. it may only happen when it gets hot. that won't happen from reversing the polarity, your sound quality will be poor if the wires are backward.
good luck
joe

The stock speakers never did turn off like that when i had them in there. Maybe it's because i just stripped the wire and wrapped it through the hole and around the terminals. The speakers are used. But the jl audios i got with em work fine. Is there anything i could do to check the speakers? Does anyone know which wires in the doors are positive and which are negative? Could the speakers be touching something in the door to make it do this? The last time i put them in it was usually just the right speaker that cut out or just wouldnt come on, now it's the left side that's doin it.

thanks
dan

if it is stock it might tell you on the back. the deck in my ranger had a list on the back of the harness that tell what all the wires are for. my sc had nothing in it.
joe

u answered your own question. your prob. is that u just twisted the wire on. put proper clips on the spade terminals.

Alright, let me see if I can figure this one out. I need to know which wires are which. In the front doors I have one that is dark green/orange and the other is light green/white. Which is which? In the back one is dark green/orange and the other is blue/pink. Anyone know which is which?

i also need to know this on my 94, someone please let us know which wires are negative and which are positive

thanks
dan

i have wiring diagrams for everything else but speaker wires. call your local stereo shop and they will know what the colors are. sorry about that.
joe

hey thanks a lot though. Not many people would take their time to look up something for someone they don't even know

thanks
dan

iwannanSC said:
Alright, let me see if I can figure this one out. I need to know which wires are which. In the front doors I have one that is dark green/orange and the other is light green/white. Which is which? In the back one is dark green/orange and the other is blue/pink. Anyone know which is which?

should be a dark green/orange and a white/light green stripe. On almost all Ford speaker wires, the striped green and striped blue wires are positive. Not solid greens or blues. So your white/green wire is positive. If the left side is out of phase (+ and - are switched) and the right side is in phase (+ and - correct) you will have almost no bass response when the speakers are centered. But if you balance left to right you will be able to hear the music properly. The easiest solution is just to reverse ONE pair of speaker wires not both. By doing this, they are either correct or both out of phase which doesnt matter. The most important thing is to have a match on both sides.

Also just as a side note, don't be supprised if your local stereo shop is not very willing to help you with your factory speaker wire colors. Mostly because they don't have time to provide tech support for self installs, they dont get paid for it, and lastly they probably just don't know :)

Back