power to insterment panel??

thunderbirdsc5

i am gettin power to my insterment panel when i turn the key foward to the run position. And i am not getting any spark. Anyone ever see a problem like that??? please help me..... i dont want to have to pay $300 to just get it looked at. thanks

Same thing happened to me and it turned out to be my crank sensor.

My car would suddenly die at times and after sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes, it would start back up and run fine. On one occasion it was bucking on and off at about 55 mph. Then one day it died and wouldn't start. I first replaced the ignition switch as the path of least resistance, (didn't help) then the crank sensor which must have been my problem all along as I haven't had any hint of a problem since. I didn't think of the crank sensor at first because of the problem being intermittent, I just thought the crank sensor would be good or bad, but evidently it can be right at that point of working at times and suddenly stop working. I hate it when that happens!

You may try looking at your ignition switch in the column and see if it is loose or coming apart and take it from there.

Hope this helps

Does the engine turn over when you turn the ignition key on?

Do you have an Automatic shift car?

If so, when you are cranking the engine over, does the UPSHIFT indicator on the dash light up?

If you have an Automatic, the car turns over but no spark, and the UPSHIFT indicator is lighting during cranking, that means the Crank Positition Sensor is not giving a signal to the engine computer.
This can mean any or all of the following:
  • The Crank Position Sensor has Failed
  • The wiring to the Crank Position Sensor is damaged
  • The pulley on the crankshaft is loose and has allowed the sensor ring to impact the sensor damaging it.
  • The Crankshaft Harmonic Balancer bolt has broken or come loose.
    [/list=a]

yeah i was messin with it earlier this week and decided to check the crank sensor since it is something these cars are known to have problems with and thats what it was. the entire underside of the sensor was gone. thanks for the help though

Back