a/c, smog pump elimination

bentley801

whats up yall. hey i wanna get rid of my ac and smog ****, but i cant find any kits. anybody know of any?? or can i just get new belts that are shorter??? thanx matt

my 90 does not have a smog pump, maybe some do?......

And why would you wanna get rid of AC? even if you dont care about cooling, if you live in an area where there is occasionally cold weather ( like i do ) the AC kicks on when you run the defroster too. That's why newer cars don't fog up the windows when the defroster is on..................

just a thought...i mean its not like it costs you performance or mileage when it's turned off.......

ok cool, i thought they did have a smog pump but good to know.
my ac hasnt worked in a while and its 450 bucks for a new compressor so screw it, i can live with out it. and ye it does use power to spin it even when its not runnin. its minimal but every lil bit helps right?? thanx guys

bentley801 said:
my ac hasnt worked in a while and its 450 bucks for a new compressor so screw it, i can live with out it. and ye it does use power to spin it even when its not runnin. its minimal but every lil bit helps right?? thanx guys
Take the belt off and spin it by hand.. you'll probably find that it is no harder to spin than any of the tensioner pulleys.. so IMO, if you can't feel any difference in drag, you don't gain anything by putting in a different pulley. Just be sure to unplug the compressor to make sure it doesn't kick in with the defrost. Usually they make a horrible screech when they lock up.. thats the clutch spinning against the clutch plate.

Back