PDA

View Full Version : Gears?

joew623
04-20-2003, 02:05 AM
do gears lower 1/4 times??? if so...like how much time can i lose with 3.55 or 3.73??

theid
04-20-2003, 10:54 AM
I got over 1/2 second when I went from 3:27 to FRPP 3:73 trac loc in my LX.
theid

joew623
04-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Do u remember what u paid for them?

theid
04-21-2003, 07:52 PM
well I did not buy just the gears and would recommend the same if you are planning to upgrade. I bought the FRPP racing diff from 5 star Ford in Arizona. You pick the gear you want and it comes as a trac loc and has aluminum case which is much lighter than the stock which most likely not a locker. I think the locking diff makes just as much of a difference as the gears since you will have both tires attempting to get tracion rather than one spinning like hell. But the bad part is the price whole thing with new speedo gear was like $650. Although if you buy the gears like 200 then have someone put them in it will likely cost you another 300 or so for install. Not that much price difference and at least if you buy the FRPP all you have to do is jack up the car pop off an axle and slide it in. Did mine in the driveway not hard at all. Plus no worries about wether the shop that installed them got the gears in right and aligned perfectly.
theid

T-bird4vr
04-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey, I was considering searching the juck yards for an older sc with the trac lok diff. Is this something that I could change with basic hand tools, and is it very hard to do?

theid
04-22-2003, 02:22 AM
you can do it with basic hand tools if you have the 32mm socket for the axles but I would memorize the codes on the door jam otherwise you will have to pull them out to tell wether they are lockers or not. Oh and you will need a 12 point socket or end wrench for the drive shaft bolts. When out on the top is the gear size and if it is a lock it has an L in the middle like mine was 3L27. I heard that was a special order though so it may not be easy to find.
theid