It's getting hot in here

eds94tbirdsc

I've recently taken my car out of storage and I have a prob with the climate control . When I press the botton for cold air , I still get hot air . I have tried starting then car with the temp at 60 but when it warms up , I get hot air . Even if I turn on AC , nothing changes . What is going on ?:confused:

I would say there was a problem with your air conditioning system.

It should first be determined whether your A/C compressor is attempting to turn on, or if nothing is happening at all. To do this, sit with the a/c button selected for a period of time. If you here a click every once in a while & the rpms lower for short periods of time with this click, your a/c compressor clutch is probably attempting to engauge, but is stuck. Go out and check it under the hood. If it just locks & your belt slips over it, this is the problem.

The next possibility is that you do not have enough freon in your system. When this happens, the car will not even attempt to engauge the a/c compressor. Look for one of the freon refill valves under your car (like the one behind passenger headlight) and press it very quickly to check for releasing gases. If nothing comes out or only a little is released, you could be low on freon.

The first problem would be the easier one to diagnose. Other problems could also exist, but I believe these are more common.

The AC compressor is working . It clutches in and out fine without any slippage . The heat keeps coming out no matter where I have the temp or the heater position set at . If I use the auto climate control ( example .. temp is at 90 ...fan kicks in to bring temp up to 90 ... when I lower the temp , fan slows down when it reaches temp inside car . when I lower temp to 60 , fan speeds up to bring temp down to 60, but it's still blowing hot air ) it is the same thing . Are there any valves or rods that might be sticking because it worked fine until I stored it for the winter ?

The automatic climate control system on our cars uses a air blend door. Try and pinch off the water hose going to the heater core and see if you get cold now.

If so, that means that the blend door is stuck so that air is being flowed over the heater core and the evaporator core. But hot water can overcome the cool of the evaporator so easy.

On the regular Tbirds the blend door is controled by a cable. I assume on yours it is by a servo motor of some sort. Either that has failed, or maybe something is in the heat plenum that is blocking it from moving.

Unfortunately it looks like you need to remove the dash to get at all of that stuff.

You can get to most of it by pulling the glove compartment. There's a bunch of vac hoses there too that (I think) operate some of the duct controls.

Thanks for the replies . I just haven't gotten around to checking anything out . 14 hour shifts kill my daylight hours .:rolleyes:

Back