problems after too much wheel hop at the track

6pak2go

Well, I made it to the track for the first time this season. On my first pass I was lined up against my buddy in his '01 cobra. (I was ready to stomp on him) Unfortunately, I got some real bad wheel hop coming off of the line. Lets just say my day ended at the 60ft mark. The wheelhop caused my fuel inertia switch to pop to off, and it cut all my fuel. The real problem is now you can put the car in any gear and let off the clutch and it goes nowhere. I dont believe that the clutch id the problem because the speedometer still goes up accordingly with the gear it is in. The driveshaft does not spin. I'm thinking that the output shaft in the tranny broke, but Im not for sure. Has any had this happen to them before? What do you think the cause is?

Brandon
'91 SC 5-speed
port matched heads & intake
ported '95 blower & inlet
1inch raised blower lid
custom CAI
flowmaster cat-back
B&M ripper shifter

I would have to concur that if your driveshaft isn't moving, but the speedo is, that whatever is wrong is inside the transmission.

Wheel hop shocks the diveline terribly. Unfortunately it appears that our driveshafts are stronger than some of the transmission internal components. So if you don't back off as soon as you get wheel hop, damage can occur.

when you pull it out I would also take a close look at the driveshaft ends as well as the input to the diff and the u-joints. Stress cracks may have started there as well.

Can be none other than the output shaft. The speedo is driven off the output shaft right after the rear bearing. From there to the back of the tranny is nothing but shaft and it is broken. You need a new tranny. I don't think you can even buy them from Ford and it will be cheaper to find a used tranny.

Sorry. :(

no way dude.....I had exactly the same problem....exactly. Here's my story.

Went to the track for the last race of the season, first run of the night. The light turned green, got on it. I got bad wheel hop off the line but I usally ride it out and it goes away. Well i let it rev to about 6000rpm and then there was the loudest bang, and the motor cut right off. I thought the motor blew and a rod went throught the block. I pulled over to the side of the track(about 30feet from the line), and looked under the car.....no oil, which was a good sign. As I was waiting for a tow, I got back in the car and tryed to start it. Nothing, the car would turn over but not fire. So I pulled it out of the lanes and into a safe area. Kept trying it and figured I would try the fuel pump shut off.....it was tripped and when i set it back...the car fired right up. I was so happy, but i wanted to just go home after that scare. I put the car in rev........nothing. Tryed first gear.....nothin.....tryed every gear and still nothing. So I got it towed out the the parking lot of the track. I figured the clutch blew, but then I notices that the speed still went up as i went through the gears. Took it home and it ended up being the output shaft snaped in half right after the speed gear inside the tranny. Big setback. My tranny was already upgraded and rebuilt so I wanted to keep mine and fix it. The hardest part is trying to find an output shaft. No one has them. I got mine from texas. I had a buddy that works at Ford and he used the national parts look-up. There are two left in the country....both in texas. And I got one of them. SO there is still one left. This place was trying to get rid of this shaft, so try to get your hands on it and they will let it go for cheap. I rebuilt the tranny myself and it was easy. Just make sure you shim it up and check all the specs. Like I said before...that is exactly what happened to mine and it was the output shaft. Sorry buddy, but I could bet a thousand bucks that it is your output shaft that snapped.

Back