Wheel offset, will they fit?

ponysc

18x9 with a pos. 24 mm offset...

I used the search, didn't find much of an answer..

don't really know the start point to measure offset from..

Thanks guys.

Chris

For a 9" wheel you'll need around +35 to fit under the car ... +24 would stick out too much. Sounds like a Mustang application wheel you're looking at.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Yeah, they're 'stang wheels..

Anything I can do to get them to fit?

How is offset measured- is it the measurement from where the hub meets the wheel to the inside lip on the wheel????

Maybe they're thick enough to trim a little where it meets the hub?!?? lol...

Thanks Ed!

I have 17x9.5's on mine and have +25mm offset on 285/40's. I rolled my fender lip to avoid any rubbing regardless of cornering or bumps. A 285 is so wide that it damn near touches both the inner fenderwell and the outer lip. Micah has 18x9's with 285's on his also, and to stop the rubbing he put in airbags. I don't have any airbags and my car is lowered 1.25". I believe that Micah has Mustang wheels but I can't tell you for sure.

I used to have 16x9.5's on with a +35mm offset and they tucked under a little more, but on hard cornering the 255/50's I had on would rub both on the outer lip and the inner fenderwell, so I don't think either is safe without rolling the fender edge, in which case either will work ok.

I believe that Micah Miller's wheels are 8-1/2" on the front, and 10" on the rear ... and he has tires that are about an inch shorter than stock, otherwise I think they would rub even with the airbags.

As for modifying the Mustang wheels, it may be possible ... you'll need to find a shop that is experienced with that type of work. If you end with a mounting surface that is still 7 - 8 mm thick at the wheel stud holes, you should be fine. I'm looking at doing the same thing with some 03 Cobra 17x9 wheels (which are +28 for some reason, almost all the other OE Ford wheels are +24 in 9" width for a Mustang), to use for mounting open-track tires.

cheers
Ed N.

You think I could trim enough off these so they don't stick out quite so far?

I notice the holes go pretty far back...

You'd think I would be allright rolling the fender lip with these shaved a couple mils, with 275's??

EDIT: DOH! these are 18's.. I guess they'd have low pros....

Attachments

• slfront1bg.jpg
    slfront1bg.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Ya, I was only refering to the rears, not the fronts. You are right, Micah's do rub on the back without the airbags. Mine don't, but I rolled the inner edge of the fender well. You can't tell from looking at it as the outside edge is not modified at all. On the front I think it would stick out way too far. I have 17x8's on the front. I think if you want to run big brakes and 9's on the front, you are going to stick out some.

Those saleen replicas will fit. I almost placed an order for a set until I found my BBS's.

You will have to convert the bolt pattern though.

My problem with the Saleen replicas was that I could not get a Saleen look for my car. In order to get the look, I would need the exact same tire they use. Which is sooooo low pro that I would have to drop my SC AT LEAST another full inch to make it look ok. Which a 2.5 inch drop would be too much for me.

Then again, if I got bigger tires, I wouldn't have the saleen look now would I. It would have been different.

Micah

I guess I'm ok with the low pro's and the drop. I have experience with a car 2.5" off the ground..

Like Dave brough to attn.. they might stick out a little far on the front..

Yes, I do realize I have to change hub pattern, I need brakes asap, so I figure I might as well go ahead and get the 13" cobras anyways.. that's why I'm looking at mustang wheels..

I don't have to go with such a wide tire on the front.. though I'd like to.. do you guys think 255's would look too narrow on a 9" wheel? (having the rear 275's to compare to)

I really want these wheels, so if I can make them fit and look right in some way, I'm going to...

It would be nice to have a saleen wheel around to play with..

What do you think about the fronts sticking out Micah? Think they'd look allright on my car? caugh*I'm white*ahem.. lol..

Thanks,

Chris

They won't stick out any worse than a 17 X 9 Cobra R (which does stick out some in front, while the rear tucks nicely).

That was another turn on to my BBS's, they have custom offset and backspacing to bring the wheels out flush with each other. I really couldn't be happier with my BBS's unless they were maybe chrome :)

Micah

ponysc, if you get those rims post a pic. I posted on here a couple month's ago about trying to make those saleen's fit. Even called the company to see if they would make a set of 35mm offset. They said they couldn't:mad:. Hope they work out, those would look good on a sc.

If I do it I'll download a video clip so you can get the full effect..

I'm still worried they're going to stick out too far..

guys, what's the offset on 'bird Cobra R's?

The replica Cobra R wheels for a Bird fitment are usually at +35 offset for a 9" wheel ... I'm thinking that the +24 would be OK on the rear, but would hang out too much on the front.

cheers
Ed N.

I got a guy about an hour away going to let me take his wheel off and look at it.. My driveline in my SC is gutted and it's in the opposite direction besides.. plus it still has the 'bird hubs.. so out of luck there.

SO... Can you guys tell me how to measure offset?

I'm guessing the measurement is from the center of the wheel to where the wheel meets the hub? The further it meets toward the inside of the wheel, the less pos offset it has?

Main thing I'll be looking at is how much can be shaved before it runs into where the lug nuts meet the wheel.. It would be nice if I could get by with shaving just the front two enough so they don't stick out w/out getting too thin.. Then maybe they'll tuck in for the perfect look:) but doubtful they're that thick..

Thanks for the #'s Ed!

What do you guys think of a 17"x9" wheel with +28mm offset?

Would I need to get the front machined to fit under the fender?

I'd appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks!

Back