Is it my rack and pinion?

Bsrkr

I did a search but really couldn't figure it out.

While driving, I feel a shutter in the steering wheel. I can also hear somewhat of a tapping noise. This only happens when the wheel is in the neutral position. If I slightly turn the wheel from side to side it feels loose and I can hear that tapping noise.

When parked, I can't even turn the wheel without the car running. If I try to force it, it makes a grinding noise. Also, around the neutral position, I can shake the wheel from side to side.

I got under the car and jiggled the steering stem by hand. It felt loose and there was a slight knocking or tapping noise coming from the rack.

So, is my rack dying?

If so, can somebody give me some pointers on replacing it? Should the car be realigned afterwards?

Thanks!

couple of things to look @ ....1 the coupler that connects the steering shaft to the rack ...they use a rubber isolator ..to cut down vibration ..it drys out cracks and play starts ..next is it connection to the rack ..if it's loose it will eat the teeth off of the rack ...I had to cut a shim and put it between coupler and the drive on the rack ...I may have to replace rack to fix it right but i got it tight ...lastly is the torsion strut on the lower control arm to the frame .. if the bushing in there are shot ...the lower control arm can move forward and back .. under braking and gassing it.. and doesn't help the ailgment ..really feel this more under braking ..

I had the same problem and it was an inner tie rod shot, might just as well change out the PS rack, It's just as easy.

Back