home blower porting?

super red91

I have a couple questions about porting the stock plenum and blower. How much material can you take off the plenum where it connects to the blowre before u dont get a good seal? Also do u have to take off the case to port the blower or can u just use a vacum to suck up all the metal shavings? If you have to take it apart what all has to come apart and how hard is it to do? pictures would really help out alot. thanks

I went a little farther on mine. It's not hard to take it apart. You need to do this because you will never get all the shavings out.

Attachments

• j port case.jpg
    j port case.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 592
ok

what all has to come apart to remove the case like that? Also since you ported more on the blower did u have to weld and modify the plenum to fit?

Remove the bolts that hold the snout onto the SC.

Remove the snout. you might need to tap on it with a piece of wood. There are 2 small dowels around 2 bolt holes in the cartridge (the piece that the rotors are attached to).

Once you have the snout removed use a 1X4 to push the rotors to the front of the case. The rotors and about a 1" plate will come out as one. Be careful you don't want to damage the rotors. set them to the side.

You can use a piece of tape to covor the rear bearings if you don't want to replace them. But you might as well while you are there. you will need a press or access to a press.

The inlet plenum will be matched as well but I haven't finished it yet. It is hard to hold on the milling table, I just bought some machinest jacks so I'll try again once I get back from my trip.

I went a little different route, as I am using epoxy to fill in the areas that need to be built up in order to raise the opening. I am not done with this yet and plan on doing a little more to the inlet. The outlet hasn't been started either.

The epoxy I am using has a temp rating to 500F and has the closest expansion rate as I could get to aluminum.

Jeff

so...

when i take the snout off is there anything that i have to worry about breaking or falling out? also when i put it back together what do i use to seal the snout and everyhting back together?

You will need to use Locktite 518 available at Grainger to seal ALL machined surfaces. The only thing that will fall out is the coupler. Just pay attn the the way it is orenited.

Jeff

Sorry to revive up the old thread but I got the new huffer t-day and saw that pic and wanted to see how the heck it got so big. Do you have any responce to what it does on the street or dyno numbers?

Chris

Seawalker, do a bump on my thread. You can see how Ryan Harris ported out my newer style blower.

Toms-SC said:
Seawalker, do a bump on my thread. You can see how Ryan Harris ported out my newer style blower.

Too stupid to figure out what the H311 you are talking about. Have one of those things I can click on or cut and paste? I looked at so many of em Im not sure which one to look for on the search.

Chris

No man, I cant find my thread anymore. I'll get some pictures up for you sometime soon. If your in a rush just contact Ryan Harris himself

Back